+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

and wheelchairs too!

Sand Dollars

Looks like concrete is in the lead (60%) but I had to vote wood. Walking on wood is way better on the human body (knees & backs) and although some wood is in all 3 options, lets face it as crowded as it gets you know you'll be forced into the middle at some point.

Personally, I've always felt (like Britt) that running the concrete NEXT to the boards was the way to go... it would probably cost more, but you would give everyone the opportunity to walk on the boards without the danger of people (especially kids!) stepping in front of or between the trams - ALSO the trams would be able to run much more efficiently because they would not have to stop as much for pedestrians. I'm sure we've all been there where you sit there on the tram, and watch pedestrians walk on by and even pass you up, as you think to yourself "I could have saved the money and walked it in this length of time..." As far as the beach becoming to narrow - I don't believe this is a problem... I've never seen beach goers yet that have had their blankets backed up to the sea wall. Losing 20' of sand wouldn't be missed by anybody.

Sand Dollars

I agree Dean. I've never seen blankets backed up to the see wall either, but there have been times that I've seen kids throwing frisbees, footballs, flying kites, etc. and their play interfered with those people on blankets in the back of the pack. Taking away 8 to 10 feet of the beach to make a Tram lane would increase the frequency of this problem. Don't get me wrong, I still would rather see the parallel Tram lane, but I'm sure that is what one of the arguments against that plan.

hapnstance

I agree with Britt and Dean. I have a nerve problem in my legs and walking on the concrete puts me in bed. The wood is much more forgiving. I've only used the tram once when I was unable to walk from the Inlet to 23rd street after Sunfest. I would far prefer to walk the boards.

Sand Dollars

I suspect that even if there is sufficient space to the east of the seawall, that the tram lane can't be put there without creating other significant problems. The seawall was built in 1991 to protect the boardwalk and property west of it. It has been very effective. Putting concrete to the east of the seawall would create rubble that would further batter the seawall in a major storm. At the south end of the BW, the beach is wide enough that it provides a measure of protection, but before major storms the Public Works Department often builds large piles of sand between the BW and the Atlantic to offer some protection.

The seawall is not just a block of concrete on the sand. It goes down about 35 feet! A picture of its construction:

A picture of its effectiveness:

Both of these picts come from http://www.ocmuseum.org/index.php/site/oc-history_article/the_boardwalk_experience/

Consider this when thinking about the seawall. One reason the BW reconstruction is needed is because no storm has destroyed the boardwalk for the past 20 years. I believe it is the first time the boardwalk has ever gotten old enough to require a planned replacement. In the past replacement was necessary after the BW was ravaged by a storm. Several hurricanes in the early 1950s ultimately resulted in the concrete portion being installed at the south end in 1955. The 1962 storm resulted in the extension from 25th or 26th to 27th Street (see a pict of the 1962 damage in post 37 of this thread http://www.oceancity.com/content/forum/ocean-city-history-books). Damage from storms in the late 1970s (1978?) can be seen here: http://www.oceancity.com/content/forum/add-your-old-o-city-pics-here-other-special-pics).

Sand Dollars

Good stuff OCGuy. Very informative.

stahli
    Sand Dollars

great pics of the wall protecting the boardwalk.

Sand Dollars

OCGuy, you never fail to impress me with your knowledge of Ocean City! 35'? I would have never imagined that, I'm blown away... I see your points, and they are all good ones. Although I'm not sure what you mean by "rubble" - if you mean benchs or garbage cans, I don't see why they would need to have those items east of the sea wall.

As far as the width of the beach and the man made piles of sand - again I understand what you saying, but still, I have a hard time believing that less than 20' of width couldn't be spared. Even if they didn't run it the full lengh, just enough to get past the congestion would be a plus.

(I say this as if the powers to be give a damn what I think lol)

Sand Dollars

True Dean. If they could just run the lane up to the bend at 15th street (Harrison Hall) then run the train up the middle on concrete, that might be the way to go.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Britt4duke

True Dean. If they could just run the lane up to the bend at 15th street (Harrison Hall) then run the train up the middle on concrete, that might be the way to go.

That's exactly what I was thinking....