+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

The city is planning a major renovation to the boardwalk beginning this fall and they are asking for everyone's opinion. To give yours, there is a poll with and explanation of the three choices that they are considering. Only takes a second to vote. It's everyone's OC so let your opinion be heard.

http://oceancitymd.gov/poll.html

mcgruff
    Sand Dollars

Re: New Boardwalk coming beginning this fall = poll

i like both concrete options.

Sand Dollars

Thanks for posting this. I'm more old school and would prefer all wood.

Sand Dollars

I like option 1, all wood. I remember the south end when it was concrete before the 1999/2000 renovation. I like the wood much better.

Sand Dollars

has there ever been any thought to expand the boardwalk farther north than 28th street? What was/is the reason it was stopped at 28th?

Sand Dollars

I voted for all wood, of the other two I like the stamped concrete the most. No matter what its made of I'll still be there for vacation though.

Sand Dollars

bar2008,

The boardwalk was extended northward for the last time by a couple of blocks to its current length after the 1962 Ash Wednesday Storm. It was on the master plan for years to extend to the DE line, but I believe that plan was eventually removed. It would be difficult to extend beyond its current 27th street northern terminus as there is little space between the western edge of the dune and the eastern edge of many of the property lines and buildings that are ocean front. Since the BW is "Atlantic Avenue," many ocean front OC properties, even those far north of the BW, have "Atlantic Avenue" addresses.

The south end of the BW was concrete from South Division Street to about North Division Street from 1955 until that concrete was replaced in late 1999 into early 2000. Forum user notimpressed of OCHH.net has some nice pictures of this renovation at http://www.flickr.com/photos/30087321@N05/4217795676/in/set-72157622952056549/ .

Sand Dollars

Did they ever entertain the idea of running a concrete sidewalk parallel to the boardwalk like they have at the south end to 4th street? Or do they feel it will take up too much of the beach up at the northern end of the boardwalk?

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Britt4duke

Did they ever entertain the idea of running a concrete sidewalk parallel to the boardwalk like they have at the south end to 4th street? Or do they feel it will take up too much of the beach up at the northern end of the boardwalk?

Britt, I think that's why options 2 and 3 are being proposed. The beach gets too narrow to run a concrete lane next to the existing wooden boardwalk. The compromise would be to run a tram width concrete lane down the middle with wood on either side. I like option 2 the best. The smoothness for bike riders, roller bladers, and parents would be very much appreciated in my opinion. Never thought about until I had some kids, but have you ever tried pushing a stroller on a section of boardwalk that is few years old? The poor little ones get vibrated to death! Their juice cups almost get rattled right out of the cup holders. It's also a public safety concern with more and more higher rising condos and hotels being built along the boardwalk. It's my understanding that some of the newer fire equipment is getting too heavy for the existing wood structure.

Sand Dollars

Good point Mink. I originally opted for the stamped concrete, but the smooth concrete center lane would make sense with kids. My boys are 11 and 8 years old. So I haven't used a stroller since 2006. I forgot how those boards wreaked havoc on strollers!!