+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Going Green Ocean City

Ocean City, Berlin and the surrounding area are going green and there should be one place where people can go to discuss issues, events, and anything else associated with Going Green. Please post whatever you want and use this forum to be heard.

Don't forget that Green Drinks has come to the Ocean City area. The Shark on the Harbor on Sunset Ave in West OC is hosting Green Drinks the 2nd Wednesday of every month from 3 - 7 pm. Join like minded individuals to talk green. There will be organic drinks, sustainable wines, and other cool offerings. There will also be information on events and issues that affect all of us. This is a completely informal gathering, so come for 5 minutes or 4 hours. You won't be disappointed in the view, the people, or the restaurant. There are lots of non-alcoholic offerings, too so don't miss these events!

The first Green Drinks will be on Earth Day's 40th Anniversary: Thursday, April 22 from 3 - 7 pm. Join us as we gather with other groups from Pennsylvania to Virginia to try to break the world attendance record set by a Green Drinks group in Australia.

[img width=500 height=375]/userfiles/shark-ocean-city.jpg[/img]

Sand Dollars

Re: Going Green Ocean City

What exactly is a "green drink"? Aside from the color I mean. How does it benefit the earth?

Sand Dollars

Great!

Now when I'm in town I know what day NOT to go to The Shark....

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

What exactly is a "green drink"? Aside from the color I mean. How does it benefit the earth?

GreenDrinks is an international organization dedicated to getting environmentally interested people together. Here is a quote from their site: [img width=1 height=1]https://mail.google.com/a/maryland.com/?name=d33be9805ff33117.jpg&attid=0.1&disp=vahi&vie w=att&th=1282660a3d8baae3[/img]

Earth Day Green Drink Specials

Round Hill
    Sustainable
    Wines[/b] – White Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. . . 2.50

Green Pick[/b] – Prairie Organic Vodka, Skyy Natural Citrus Vodka and Harvey and Sons Organic Green Tea

served on the rocks. . . 7

Conscious Cosmopolitan[/b] – Prairie Organic Vodka, squeeze of lime, triple sec and cranberry juice

served straight up. . . 6

Sand Dollars

this is funny.

Ocean City is no longer "Green".The City Council voted to do away with recycling to save money.

Sand Dollars

Maybe the Green Drinkers can convince OC to change their minds! I wonder, if everyone would be totally truthful, how many people in the US actually recycle or grow organic, or buy biodegradable products? I had the opportunity several years ago to follow a "recycle" trash truck when he made his last pick up. I figured I'd follow to see where they take all of the glass, etc. that we pay extra on our trash bills to have picked up separate. Thinking that this is a good thing. Well, guess where he went? To the same landfill as all the other garbage and dumped it. Nothing special, no big building where they seperate and recycle. It was all just covered over like everything else. When I brought it up to them, I was told to mind my own business.

I still recycle though and try to do my part. Today I didn't drive my car, wash any clothes, or turn on my tv's. Just the puter. Hopefully, every little bit helps.

Happy Earth Day everyone.

Sand Dollars

Ocean City has a new trash contract with a company in PA. Supposedly they will still recycle, but have the ability to separate the trash from the recycling at the site. I plan to check it out a bit further to better understand exactly what they are doing. In the meantime I just keep recycling, sorting all my glass, plastic, paper, cardboard, etc.. and taking to the transfer station just off Flower Street in Berlin.

Sand Dollars

It is called stream line recycling. You can put everything into one bin. No need to seperate, they do it at the recycle center with computer and a few people to catch anything that was missed. It is a cool process to watch. We use it where I live and burn the trash for energy.

Sand Dollars

Sand Dollars

Water Quality – What Can We Do?

As a water front community, Ocean Pines residents have a direct impact on the water quality and natural resources of our coastal bays. With that in mind the OPA Environment and Natural Assets Advisory Committee will host a community forum April 28th where property owners can learn how to protect our coastal bays.

The event will feature speaker Mary Owens, Education and Conservation Coordinator for Maryland’s Critical Area Commission, Chesapeake and Atlantic Coastal Bays. Owens, architect and expert in urban and regional planning, has more than 15 years experience with land use Programs and helped develop publications such as Bay Smart, Backyard Makeover, and The Green Book for the Bay.
    She enjoys directing community outreach and public education efforts designed to help citizens gain a better understanding of actions we can all take to minimize adverse impacts on our water quality and enhance the habitats that nurture our plants and wildlife.

The presentation takes place on Wednesday, April 28 at 7pm in the Ocean Pines Library. Please join us for this thought provoking discussion and light refreshments. This event is co-sponsored by the Ocean Pines Environment and Natural Assets Advisory Committee, Maryland Coastal Bays Program and the Lower Shore Land Trust.

For more information, contact Barb Coughlin at bactoyou@msn.com