+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Holiday Inn suites

Ok, I intended to write a review as soon we returned but I've been extremely busy up to this point...

We Stayed at the Holiday Inn suites, located on the boardwalk at 18th st. the week of July 4th. This was are second time staying at this hotel, the first was last year for Memorial day weekend. - Obviously one years time can make a BIG difference... Now don't get me wrong it wasn't a horrible experience, or anything, but on the same note it lost a step from the previous year.

First off, we made our reservations the very first week in January. Now I know they don't promise you specific rooms or anything, but we did put in a "request' for 6th floor or above. we checked in at 1:30 (normal check in is 3) only to find that we are staying on the 2nd floor!?!? ok I'll just let it go I thought, till I got in there stepped out onto the balcony, only to have a perfect view of the metal arch, that divides the 2 pool areas. So now at this point I'm not really happy at all with the room, and to make matters worse when we flushed the toilet it overflowed with soap suds all over the bathroom! They came up and unclogged it, and said someone before us must have flushed a bar of soap down the toilet. My question is, didn't the maid flush it when she cleaned the bathroom??? oh! I almost forgot! After they unclogged it, they called down to house keeping to send someone up to clean it - when they came to the door my kids answered it, the guy hands them some towels and walks away! So I ran down the hall and told that guy that if WE had to clean this bathroom, we were checking out! He pleaded ignorance to the overflowed toilet and said he just got a call for more towels. Needless to say him and another person came back and cleaned it... The screen door was also ripped, and the remote for the t.v. was broken too. now if I were staying at The Santa Maria and paying $150 a nite this could be overlooked, but this is The Holiday Inn Suites and these rooms go for $425.00 a nite - completely unexceptable! I went to the front desk and asked to be move to a room with a view, and a toilet without issues. They said they we could move the next day. That sounds simpler than it is - our new room wasn't ready till 2:30 that next day so basically we sat at the pool all day waiting for them to get our new room. I even asked if we put all of our stuff on a couple of carts if maybe they could transfer it for us. "No you would need to be here to check in and check out" & "They won't move you" the girl at the desk told us.

So after we get into the other room things went a little better, although there were only 3 towels in that room, went to call down to the front desk, and the phone was disconected from the wall. This room also needed some upgrades done to the bathroom, the finish was worn of the toilet bowl from being snaked so many times + the toilet seat did not fit the bowl in this room or the other. Not that I'm trying to be difficult but stuff like this REALLY bothers me - like I said $425 a nite - take a fraction of that money from one nites stay and go down to Home Depot and buy a new toilet for crying out loud!

my only other complaints were the fact that housekeeping didn't get to our room till about 4:00 everyday, and the waitresses at the pool, were very slow and at times seemed to have gotten lost altogether. (no they were NOT that busy)

So after we got all that garbage out of the way the rest of the stay was good. The kids really enjoyed the pool. Inspite of the way the trip started out we were having such a good time at the end of the week we decided to stay an extra nite. We did however have to change rooms once more to make this happen, but this time we dealt with a guy named Chad who works the evenings, he was very helpful, got us moved the next day first thing in the morning, no problems at all ! If they had one more of him, they could fire the 2 girls who work the day shift because IMO they were worthless.

So I guess to sum it all up - if you have kids they will love the pool at this place, and in all fairness the pools and hot tub and the location will probably bring me & my family back too, even though (IMO) the rooms are way overpriced for the condition they are in.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the review. What a dump. I'll never stay there after reading this. Thanks again.

Sand Dollars
    Well, I deffinetly would NOT call this place a "dump", and it is not my intention to steer people clear of this place (like I said. I'll probably stay there again) but when it comes to rooms, I've just paid less & had a hell of a lot less problems. My wife and I work very hard for our money and we save up all year in an effort to do our OC trip first cabin. So when I'm shelling out this much I expect it to be problem free, at least for the most part anyways.

Sand Dollars
    We stayed there in May for Cruise In and had a similar experience. When we first got into the room, we were delighted with the size but then we turned on the lights. The sofa in the living room was FILTHY! I refused to sit on it, and the side chair wasn't much better. I always put a towel on the chair before I sat on it...............and that was with clothes on. I wouldn't even consider it in a bathing suit. I had suspicions that the sheets weren't fresh, although they did smell clean. But the bathroom! OMG! There was dried pee on the seat and rim, the bathtub had obviously dropped and there was a 3/4 inch gap between the tub and the tub walls. The same with the sink area. And the floor was actually coming up! The remote was dead, and had to have new batteries. The outside table was filthy, to which I promptly used their nice white towels and cleaned the table and all four chairs. And don't get me started on the rug. Socks were worn all four days.
    I got the room for free with points, but I would never PAY to stay there again. I've stayed at the Rodeway Oceanfront at the end of the boards, and it was cleaner and the staff was much more accomodating than at the HI suites. I guess big price doesn't mean quality.

JustBeachy`
    Sand Dollars
    DeanM--$425/night?!?!? Are you kidding me??? You paid over $3400 to stay there for 8 days??? You could have stayed in an extremely luxurious condo for that amount, and I bet the toilet seats would have fit!!

I'm sorry, I work too hard for my money to stay in a place that is as you described.

Sand Dollars
    If you look up the rates on line they are $435 we had a discount rate of $385, so we spent like $2700 for a week. The point here really is when you are spending that kind of money it should be mostly problem free, no matter if it's a hotel, condo whatever. Even though we did not pay the full rate, that IS what this place gets for a nites stay, and in my opinon for that kind of money they should be doing a better job. Matter of fact 13 months ago when we stayed there they did a MUCH better job.

As far as getting a "luxurious" condo for the same amout maybe that's true, but THIS place is suposed to be a "luxurious" hotel. So there shouldn't be these type of issues. Also I don't know of any condos on the boards that have 3 pools, 2 of which are oceanfront (1 set up for kids with 2 water slides, lazy river, and wirlpool). So again as stated earlier the location, pools and setup there will probably be the reason if we stay there again. I just hope maybe somone from the Harrison group reads this thread, and it serves as a wake up call for them.

JustBeachy`
    Sand Dollars
    Maybe you should write, call or e-mail them and make them aware of your concerns. Rates will only be increasing in the years to come and it would really suck to have the same problems....maybe worse, if you stay there again. I'm glad your kids like it though. btw....I thought you stayed an extra night, maybe I added wrong.....

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBeachy` View Post
    Maybe you should write, call or e-mail them and make them aware of your concerns. Rates will only be increasing in the years to come and it would really suck to have the same problems....maybe worse, if you stay there again. I'm glad your kids like it though. btw....I thought you stayed an extra night, maybe I added wrong.....

I emailed both the hotel and the Harrison Group. But I doubt it will make any difference.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JustBeachy` View Post
    We did write, & never heard back from them, so I think Z, is right. I doubt it will make any difference either.

Your math is correct we DID stay the extra night, but for comparison reasons I only gave the price of a week ($2700) because you rent condos for 7 nights not 8. So when you look at it that way, I think it would be difficult to find many oceanfront condos on the boards with multiple pools that would be signifcantly cheaper. + When you stay in a condo you pretty much don't have the option to stay any extra nights & being we have 6 people I really don't miss packing up all the extra stuff (ie towels, bedding, ect) that you need to take when doing a condo stay. Not that I'm trying to start a big condo vs hotel debate here but those are the reasons we prefer a hotel to a condo. We've done it both ways...It just fits OUR needs better.

Sand Dollars
    I understand completely why you chose a hotel over a condo. I think the point you were trying to make got lost somewhere here. The point (as I see it) it that since you are able to afford a high end hotel and you chose to stay there, then for that price you would expect it to be a five star hotel, not a two star. Maybe the Hilton would be better next year. Anybody stay there to compare?