+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by bchevy View Post
    Yeah. Me too.

Thanks for clearing that all up////

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    For those of us not in the know, what exactly is a 'walk' policy?
    Hotel "Walk" Policies
    Upon occasion, a hotel will oversell their rooms and a traveler may be advised that there are no available rooms at the hotel--even though there is a confirmed reservation. If the reservation was "guaranteed," that is secured by a credit card number, advance deposit or agency guarantee, compensation is usually provided. This compensation may include guaranteed transportation to and the first night's lodging at an alternate hotel. Travelers confronted with a walk situation should ask if the hotel has a walk policy and what compensation the policy will provide.

hth :0)

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy-Shores View Post
    Hotel "Walk" Policies
    Upon occasion, a hotel will oversell their rooms and a traveler may be advised that there are no available rooms at the hotel--even though there is a confirmed reservation. If the reservation was "guaranteed," that is secured by a credit card number, advance deposit or agency guarantee, compensation is usually provided. This compensation may include guaranteed transportation to and the first night's lodging at an alternate hotel. Travelers confronted with a walk situation should ask if the hotel has a walk policy and what compensation the policy will provide.

hth :0)
    I just recently became aware of this type of situation, and very glad I did. We go to Carlisle Pa in August for a car show that you literally have to book your hotel room the day you check out for next year (does that make sense?). Anyhow, I was online in November and found a really nice hotel with reasonable rates and only five miles from the fairgrounds, so I booked it right away. Then I read on one of the car forums that this hotel does exactly what was described above. And since there is no chance at all of showing up and them finding us another room, I called the hotel to confirm. She had the reservation and gave me another number to confirm that I am confirmed. Thank goodness I did that. It would be awful to drive that long just to be turned away and have nowhere to stay. From now on, anytime I make a reservation online, I will call the hotel to double confirm.

Sand Dollars

Suggestion for Venting Your Anger

Write a letter to the Better Business Bureau, with copies to the Ocean City Chamber of Commerce, and Office of the Mayor. Ask that the OWNER of the business be provided with a copy of your complaint since you were unable to obtain an appropriate level of customer service from the "so called hotel manager." Too often, we settle for dealing with the hourly wage power monger who wears the "manager" or "supervisor" sticker on their shirt. In your letter, suggest a firm remedy, such as a written apology from the twit who messed up your reservation, or a free night for every booked night on your next reservation. Request an explanation for the poor service and explain the impact it has had on your image of the hotel and Ocean City as a vacation spot.

While all the above seems like a little much, it may make you feel better and will likely hit closer to the bullseye than our empathy By the way.. same thing happened to me at one of the largest OC hotels for a so called "valentines day package." Obviously, love was not in the air!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwaves View Post
    Write a letter to the Better Business Bureau, with copies to the Ocean City Chamber of Commerce, and Office of the Mayor. Ask that the OWNER of the business be provided with a copy of your complaint since you were unable to obtain an appropriate level of customer service from the "so called hotel manager." Too often, we settle for dealing with the hourly wage power monger who wears the "manager" or "supervisor" sticker on their shirt. In your letter, suggest a firm remedy, such as a written apology from the twit who messed up your reservation, or a free night for every booked night on your next reservation. Request an explanation for the poor service and explain the impact it has had on your image of the hotel and Ocean City as a vacation spot.

While all the above seems like a little much, it may make you feel better and will likely hit closer to the bullseye than our empathy By the way.. same thing happened to me at one of the largest OC hotels for a so called "valentines day package." Obviously, love was not in the air!
    Hate to break it to you. In Ocean City the local Better Business Bureau,the Chamber of Commerce, the office of the mayor, and the hotel owners are all the same people.
    This town is still controlled by 5 to 7 families. So save your stamps.
    Sorry

mommom
    Sand Dollars

Disappointing service

I did write to Ocean City Mayo, the Chamber of Commerce, NOTHING happened at all. they wrote back saying they sent my complaint to the motel WHOPPEE.. BaltoBob is correct,,, no one cares...makes me sad i bought a place down there!!!!!

Sand Dollars
    I'm very sorry to hear of your friends' bad experience in OC. Unfortunately, indpendent hotels such as the one where you made their reservations, don't have to have a "walk policy" in place. All national chains require their hotels to accommodate overbooking by providing transportation to and from the comparable alternative accommodations, one phone call home, and the hotel pays for your accommodations for that night. They also require the hotel to bring you back to the hotel of your original booking as early as possible - i.e. they need to move you back as soon as a room becomes available, usually the next day. This policy is the same for Holiday Inn, Choice Hotels(Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Clarion Hotels), Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.
    Unfortunately, the Chamber of Commerce, Hotel-Motel-Restaurant Association, Town of Ocean City, etc. cannot MAKE the motel manager or owner respond to your complaint but I can assure you that the majority of facilities in Ocean City would have responded to your complaint. The last thing they want is an unhappy customer.
    BTW, just because you've received a confirmation (or double-confirmed your reservation) doesn't mean you won't get walked.
    Sometimes hotels have to walk guests because other people who are already in the hotel, decide to stay an extra day or two causing the hotel to be overbooked. Sometimes mechanical or maintenence issues cause rooms to be out of order, which again, causes the available rooms to be overbooked, and sometimes, the hotel takes more reservations than the number of rooms it has to sell, again causing the hotel to be oversold. It's not always intentional or mean-spirited.

Sand Dollars
    http://www.ocmdhotels.com/
    Renee,
    Franchised,franchised,franchised.
    Also, besides the Harrisons,the Jenkns family own several motels along with Jolley Rogers,and the pier.( was also a member of the county liquor board)
    The Conners,the Dunes Manner,the Dunes Motel,and several other businesses.
    It goes on and on.

Sand Dollars
    I realize that they're franchised and owned by an individual, family or company; however, that does not mean that they don't have to follow certain company rules....including the corporate "walk policy." All I'm saying is that a hotel with a flag on it has some regulations and you as a consumer have some recourse with the franchise but when you stay at an independent, non-flagged hotel, you have no one to go to but the owner/manager of the individual property.

JustBeachy`
    Sand Dollars
    Wow....that really makes you think twice about where you will book a room. It hardly seems fair to do something like that and expect someone who drives several hundred miles just to accept it.