Thread: 3 nights stay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

3 nights stay

Can any one please tell me why you have to stay 3 nights in the summer time?

Sand Dollars

Re: 3 nights stay

It's a rip off. In fact, the hotels have instituted the 3 night minimum for the May weekend of the cruise in.

Sand Dollars

This is not unusual. It's that way at any major car event like Cruise In. We go to the shows at Carlisle every year, and it's the same way. As for the three night rule in OC during the summer, it's to guarantee that they can collect for at least one night in the event you have to cancel at the last minute. I do think it's a dumb rule when it's not for any special event though.

Sand Dollars

Well, I think it hurts business. More people just don't go versus staying an extra night. The place we usually stay at has the 3 night minium but is not booked yet for the Cruise in weekend. That should tell you something. On the other hand, they told me to call them back after May 1 and if they had rooms, they would not enforce the 3 night minimum. I'd take the bird in the hand but that's just me.

Sand Dollars

I always wondered if cities that instituted this "3 night" law also instituted a law preventing hotel owners from collecting a double rent. In other words, say I want to stay just Friday and Saturday night, but I have to purchase Sunday night as well. So, on Sunday I leave. Do they leave my room vacant, or can they rent it to someone else for the same rate I already paid?

Sand Dollars

I would stay even more then I do now. Just hard to keep taking off work all summer. I have staff that want vacations as well.

Sand Dollars

It is simply supply and demand. They wouldn't do it if they didn't think that they could make more money. Why rent your rooms for two nights and lose out on the money when you can rent for three and still have a full hotel? If the economy doesn't improve dramatically in the next three months, I think you will see fewer hotels instituting a three night minimum, but the nicest and most popular hotels will still be able to throughout the summer.

Sand Dollars

I would tend to agree with you montegoman except the hotels are not full. The lady even told me that they were not full. The hotels were not full pretty much all of last summer as well. I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something.

Sand Dollars

Last year I did find a few place take just two nights. I'm with you terp84 take the sure thing. Other places like Williamsburg and even where I live do not have a 3 day clauses. I may just buy a condo. They may never be cheaper then they are now.

Sand Dollars

For every place that has a 3 night minimum there's another one that doesn't, you just have to shop around.