Thread: New Dutch Bar

+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

New Dutch Bar

After about a three year hiatus, the Dutch Bar is back on the Boardwalk. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to stop by when I was in OC briefly last week.

Has anyone tried it yet? I heard it's more like a sports bar now.

I remember the original was kind of a dive bar, but I liked it. Also had plenty of rock hard and old metal on the juke box. Sometimes when you're down there for a while, you need a break from reggae, Beach Boys, and Buffett.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    After about a three year hiatus, the Dutch Bar is back on the Boardwalk. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to stop by when I was in OC briefly last week.

Has anyone tried it yet? I heard it's more like a sports bar now.

I remember the original was kind of a dive bar, but I liked it. Also had plenty of rock hard and old metal on the juke box. Sometimes when you're down there for a while, you need a break from reggae, Beach Boys, and Buffett.
    Hmm.... not the way I remember it.....
    Although I only ever walked in once - ordered 1 drink and left, because as I looked around the place I realized that my buddy and I were the only 2 guys in the place that weren't looking to push another guys stool in !!!!

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanM View Post
    Hmm.... not the way I remember it.....
    Although I only ever walked in once - ordered 1 drink and left, because as I looked around the place I realized that my buddy and I were the only 2 guys in the place that weren't looking to push another guys stool in !!!!
    That's how I've always remembered it also!

ravenman
    Sand Dollars
    I was always afraid to even look into the place when I walked by. I didn't want to get knifed for looking at one of the patrons the wrong way. The movie "Roadhouse" comes to mind when I think of that place.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenman View Post
    The movie "Roadhouse" comes to mind when I think of that place.
    No, more like Police Acadamey, with the "blue Oyster" bar....

Sand Dollars
    The few times I've been in there, the place was pretty empty. Granted, it was earlier in the evening.

Sand Dollars
    Dean, that's funny that you mentioned the Blue Oyster Bar from Police Academy. Before my friends and I first went to the Dutch, my one friend had always wanted to go in there. We all joked it would probably be just like the Blue Oyster in Police Academy.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Dean, that's funny that you mentioned the Blue Oyster Bar from Police Academy. Before my friends and I first went to the Dutch, my one friend had always wanted to go in there. We all joked it would probably be just like the Blue Oyster in Police Academy.
    Yeah, like I said i was only in there once, but I think you friends insight was right on the money!
    BTW, you never did say where on the boards it reopened.

Sand Dollars
    It's near it's original location on the Boards near Dorchester St.

alice
    Sand Dollars
    I went there starting in the early 80's. It typically was not a Yuppie bar. It's unique layout gave people the chance to meet others like no other bar. its was almost single lane. As narrow as it was, I think it had a pool table. I used to see the Italian looking owner in the back. It had to be one of the best hangouts in the 70's and earlier. All the pictures on the wall represented loads of young people. Also seemed like a popular local bar. The girl bartenders always wore bathing suits, and the beer was cold. I also think it was popular when the DRINKING AGE was LOWER. I think it was. Sometimes on busy nights they actually charged a cover. The really great bar was the one under the Irish bar, kinda like a cave. Dr. Harmonica gave really great shows back then.

g