+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Ok, I throw my 2 cents in here...

First let me say that I agree with most of what mkandy posted, expcept the part about crossing the highway with your kids, chairs, umbrella, sand toys, towles, blankets, snacks ect, ect, ... IMO it IS a big deal! True you can save a few bucks by staying a street back, but is it worth the torture?

It IS August, which is prime time, everything is going to be pricey. The boardwalk is generally more expensive than uptown, but you have to watch because some of those condos in the north end of town can be pretty expensive too.
    I, also am biased to the boardwalk, to me you can't beat the convience of it, you can walk right out of your place to shops, restaurants, & amusements. and not have to worry about your kids and the traffic. AND I would not worry about the noise of the boardwalk like another poster stated. You have 2 kids- you ARE the ones making the noise! + if you stay any where from 9th st, on up it's really pretty calm. Also, with kids that age, chances are they are going to be so beat from playing on the beach all day that by 10:00 you'll all be ready to turn in for the night. The later the night gets, the family traffic decreases, and the teenagers seem to gain the majority, but there are cops EVERY where, on foot, in cars, on bikes, even on horseback! If there is ever any trouble it is dealt with almost instantly.

I have been vacationing in OC for 36yrs, I have 5 kids I've stayed all over - hotels on and off the boards, same with condos, both have +'s & -'s but I would say a hotel w/kitchen is hard to beat, with a condo you need to pack all the same things you normally take to a hotel, plus - sheets, blankets, pillows, towels & paper products. Condos in season generally rent by the week, and start on the weekend, where as hotels rent any day of the week and if you want to do 6 or 8 day stays you'll have that option. Also when you are checking out, all you do with a hotel is go to the front desk, when you rent a condo, you have to clean it before you leave, and then get in your car, & drive to the reality to turn in your key.

Remember this is just "MY" point of view, good luck and have a great vacation!

beachstar
    Sand Dollars
    DeanM
    "You have 2 kids- you ARE the ones making the noise!"

LOL ur right! - Very nice post. Condo was looking good until ur post. But the hotels near the boardwalk r very pricey. Any hotels u would recommend for a family of 4?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by beachstar View Post
    Any hotels u would recommend for a family of 4?
    Well... that's the real trick. From the info I've gathered from this thread, I assume you are trying to do this trip on a budget. The problem is the key words like "boardwalk" "August" & "inexpensive" don't happen too often in the same sentence. Although IF your mind is made up that you want to stay on the boardwalk no matter what, then you could always opt, to take a vacation for less days to off set the high price tag, ie, go for 5 days instead of 7.
    I've never stayed at this hotel, but I have friends who have/do http://www.comfortinnboardwalk.com/index.html

It's a little closer to the inlet than I personaly like to be, but I don't see a problem with the location. From my understanding the ocean front & ocean view rooms have mini kitchens in them with fidge, microwave, sink, and 2 burner cooktop.

Sand Dollars
    I highly recommend staying at the Golden Sands on 109th Street. You may be able to get an efficiency at a decent price. This condo has plenty to do...indoor and outdoor pools, huge outdoor deck with shops, game room, deli, ice cream and Tiki bar. We have 3 kids ages 6, 8 and 12, they love this place. Luckily, the kids enjoy the ocean, we spend all day on the beach. We hit the boards 2 - 3 times during the week.

Most of all, enjoy your visit ! OCMD is a great place for families!

mkandy
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanM View Post
    Ok, I throw my 2 cents in here...

the part about crossing the highway with your kids, chairs, umbrella, sand toys, towles, blankets, snacks ect, ect, ... IMO it IS a big deal! True you can save a few bucks by staying a street back, but is it worth the torture?

!
    You're probably right DeanM. This will be my first year back on the boards since I guess about 1999. I was probably getting used to crossing the streets. You really need to have your head on a swivel when making the trek. LOL. I am really looking forward to being back on the boardwalk this year. Now that my kids are starting their teens, it will give me a little peace of mind knowing they are close by.

I did stay for a couple of years in an apartment around 5th street and St. Louis Ave. The big plus there was fishing the bulkhead!! But I guess that topic belongs on another board!!

Great post by the way!!

Thanks

Matt

beachstar
    Sand Dollars
    Well came very close to staying on the boardwalk. I think we called every hotel near the boards. Comparing apples to apples Park Place charged us $300 less than everybody else for 7 days. Because and only because they have a good reputation we'd thought to spend a little more. We finally went to book and they had made a mistake on the quote. VERY DISAPPOINTED! Would of been great

Condo it is I guess, exactly where I don't know. Maybe someone has some ideas.

While doing our research there was something I find very odd or maybe just the norm in OC. A lot of these hotels/condos do not except credit cards and they either want a large deposit upfront to book the room or the full amount 30 days before ur stay. Is that really the case? I find that quite odd or is that just me? I'd be very hesitant to pay all upfront. Maybe someone could shed a little light on the subject.

Many thanks to all u people for ur posts.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by beachstar View Post
    While doing our research there was something I find very odd or maybe just the norm in OC. A lot of these hotels/condos do not except credit cards and they either want a large deposit upfront to book the room or the full amount 30 days before ur stay. Is that really the case? I find that quite odd or is that just me? I'd be very hesitant to pay all upfront. Maybe someone could shed a little light on the subject.
    Well, I assume you called Coldwell Banker, and yes this is pretty much the norm with them. You have to remember you are going through an agent trying to rent condos for the owners, they are trying to get there hands on as much tangeble cash as possible at the time of thre deal, so if you fail to keep your commitment they already have enough of your money to cover their a$$ in case they can't re-rent it for the week you requested. If you are looking for a condo now for August, it's kinda like waiting till the eleventh hour... if they have an opening for the week you want, and you default on the agreement, there is agood chance that this late in the game they we NOT be able to get the place rented again, so they might (better read the fine print) keep the entire deposite. My only guess as to why they don't take credit cards ids that they would much rather have a despute with Joe Sixpack vs. a dispute with Visa, or Mastercard...
    I know the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th st. (where we stayed this year) took our reservation through our credit card, only wanted 1 nite deposite, and we had up to 48hrs to cancle and get a full refund... (that's another "+" for the hotels in my book. )

Sand Dollars
    While doing our research there was something I find very odd or maybe just the norm in OC. A lot of these hotels/condos do not except credit cards and they either want a large deposit upfront to book the room or the full amount 30 days before ur stay. Is that really the case?
    As a private owner who rents a condo- this is definitely the norm wth private rentals (the 50% down, and total due 30 days prior) but I'm surprised that a realtor's office does not take the credit cards for the owners- and really surprised that a hotel/motel doesn't take credit cards.

I do all of my booking myself (without a realtor)- and when someone cancels on you within 30 days of arrival- it is very hard to get the week re-rented (so definitely read the agreement on refund)- Losing just one or 2 weeks out of the 12 week rental season, can be a big deal for a private rentor- so the owners need to protect themselves against hasty cancellations. Most week-long reservations for Ocean City happen in February and March.- I am usually fully booked by April.

I just can't understand why a realtor's office cannot do the credit cards- that is why owner's pay them for their services- so that they don't have to worry about stuff like that (but this doesn't surprise me- most condo realtor's short-change the rentees and the rentors- which is why I ditched them 4 years ago, in favor of the personal touch and interactions).

Good Luck with your search- If you are going the hotel route- I would recommend the Castle in the Sand- it's about 10 blocks from the North end of the boardwalk (which is really close)- but they have great entertainment on their outside pool bar/deck- beach volleyball court, and they serve food and adult beverages down to the beach.

Game room, and breakfast buffet onsite- and great pool.

beachstar
    Sand Dollars
    We did call Coldwell Banker for the condos and they did want the full amount in advance, however they do take credit cards. A BIG PLUS! We're leaning more towards them since this is our first trip.

The majority of hotels did want a security deposit by check no credit cards. The big chain hotels like Holiday Inn deanM mentioned do take credit cards but local hotels around the area do not. I can only speak for myself, for someone who hasn't been to OC I just don't feel comfortable sending in a check.

I can understand an owners point of view CBayWolf however I'm a renter and I just don't want to be defrauded. Next trip to OC I'll have a better idea where to stay. Many thanks.

beachstar
    Sand Dollars
    Done! Rented a condo on 42nd street, block from beach looks very nice and affordable. Choices were between 42nd, 50th and 100 plus.... How well did I score? We tried r darnedest to stay on the boards either very expensive or dates taken. Considering this was last minute what do u think?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm going to be writing a book soon "Idiots Guide to OC" ....LOL
    - What's around this area?
    - R we really that far from the boardwalk?
    - Any nice malls or grocery stores near by?