+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
    DeanM: I also remember Shuckers. I think it was actualy called "Old Shuckers." I belive it was either in the building where Higgins Crab House (31st St) or PGN Crab House (29th St) now operate.
    OCGuy, I know it wasn't too far up past the end of the boardwalk so you are probably right. I remember they used to serve a dish called the Admiral's Delight, and it was a pot that they brought out to your table with whole lobster, crab legs, clams, shrimp, and other seafood in it...

Sand Dollars
    I just ran across a book of matches with "Old Shuckers Seafood Restaurant 31st and Coastal Highway" on it.

Sand Dollars
    Awesome info as always, OCguy! Thanks!

Sand Dollars
    Great post. The only comment I don't understand is the one at the end listing restaurants that RIP and includes The Hobbit with comment that may be rebuilt. Is that a reference to the old Hobbit which was torn down then rebuilt in the condos or something new to do with the current Hobbit?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Great post. The only comment I don't understand is the one at the end listing restaurants that RIP and includes The Hobbit with comment that may be rebuilt. Is that a reference to the old Hobbit which was torn down then rebuilt in the condos or something new to do with the current Hobbit?
    This is a very old post that has been resurrected for some reason. That comment was from 2007.

Sand Dollars
    "Anyone remember Wolfie’s (where Lombardi’s now is), Granny’s and Pappy’s? They were all basically the same (Pappy’s was a Maryland chain), but supposedly there was some issue in the 1970s with restraints with the same name all having a liquor license in OC. The interior at Lombardi’s, other than the glass room on the side, is substantially the same as it was when Wolfie’s was "

Wolfies, Granny's and Pappy's had different owners. Can't remember the guy who had Wolfies, but Granny's was owned by Jim Podowski and Pappy's by Walt Peters. I worked for Jim off and on from '73 to '78, and for Walt from '78 to '82. Lots of great memories from those years in those pubs and worked with some really fun people. Love to hear from anyone I worked with or anyone who was a customer of ours.

Sand Dollars
    Paul Revere's. No, wait, they serve the oldest food.... There might be a few more restaurants in OC that serve the oldest food.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Seems like Embers restaurant has been around for a while.
    Walt Peters, who owned Pappy's in OC, was Sam Taustin's son. The Taustin's owned The Embers, The Bonfire and Candy Kitchen. They were also the Franchisor of Pappy's. Pappy's had about 55 franchise units in its heyday.

Sand Dollars
    When I was a kid every morning of our vacation we would walk up to the Satellite on 24th for breakfast. I think its a Howard Johnson Motel now, but apparently the motel was called the Satellite Motel when it was built in the 50/60s and the name of the coffee shop is still the Satellite. The breakfasts all have beach themed names and are so good.

Our family has been going to Phillips on 25th ever since the 60s.