+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Ocean City History Books

I picked that book up on eBay a few years ago, and it's a must own for OC fans. It's a great glimpse into a different era.

boboshe
    Sand Dollars

Thanks for all the pics and info, OCGuy. For others they can go to www.ocmuseum.org and look at some old pics and stories!

Sand Dollars

Great site. Lots of OC history. I've never been to the OC life saving station.

Sand Dollars

I've been in the museum a few times. It's pretty small, but there is a lot in there to look at about the history of Ocean City and and Life Saving Service. It's one of the real bargains on the Boardwalk at a mere $3.

Sand Dollars

This is great! I work at the special collections in one of Maryland's libraries. I'll have to see if we have any in our collection that people could come see. I love how sometimes this is the only way to solve the mysteries of the past, before google of course. Please take care of them!

Sand Dollars

It hard to believe it's been over a month since I posted a book description, but fortunately I was able to spend two of those intervening weeks in Ocean City. While I was there I went to the OC Life Saving Museum history talk given by Bob Stevens. It's a great talk, and if you have any interest in OC history I highly recommend it. It is every Tuesday at 10AM in the boardwalk tram station at the south end of the boardwalk. The talk lasts about an 45 minutes.

I've gone through all of my more hard-core history books, but still have several books that provide insight into the town and its history. This installment (and probably the next one) will carry on the theme from the last post of books based on photographs. However, unlike that last entry, these photographs are relatively recent.

[img width=361 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4143/4924456437_bd06771dbf.jpg[/img]

Ocean City, Maryland's Grand Old Resort

Photography by Kevin Fleming and David Trozzo

Text by Jane Vessels

Portfolio Press, 1990, 144 pages

Amazon has a few used copies for about $30 (since people frequently ask where they can get these books I am going to start including this info in each post).

This is a great coffee table book, especially if you own a place in OC and want to leave something there for people to browse through. Its photographs are fantastic and cover all facets of OC life. The book opens with about 6 pages of text and photos that summarize Ocean City's history. It is an excellent summary covering many of the major events and changes in the city, but, as a summary, it does not give the depth of the other books I've described.

Some of the photographs I found most interesting include photos of beach goers, surfers, the beach patrol in action, the boardwalk and its attractions, OC festivals, OC workers, amusements and attractions, fish and fishermen, OC in winter, and many others. Some of the photos recall things that are gone (Morbid Manor, Samatha's Night Club, Best Body on the Beach, Pier Water Park, Photon) while others depict old classics (Boardwalk, Beach, Thrasher's, Bahia Marina , Phillips).

If you want a book to just thumb through and remind you of all OC has to offer, this book is great for that, despite being 20 years old. A few photos from the book follow. The quality suffered some in the scans below, but rest assured the photos in the book are of great quality.

[img width=500 height=355]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4925051842_fcb613d346.jpg[/img]

[img width=334 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4925051888_b30622a945.jpg[/img]

[img width=397 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4925051920_cd38787b9a.jpg[/img]

Sand Dollars

I'm reading the book about Bobby Baker now (Wheeling and Dealing). It's pretty good. My dad was pretty tight with that crowd in DC and then OC.

Sand Dollars

<---- loves this thread

Quote Originally Posted by OCGUY
    these photographs are relatively recent.

[img width=334 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4925051888_b30622a945.jpg[/img]

[img width=397 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4121/4925051920_cd38787b9a.jpg[/img]

I remember that waterslide ride....... "The Riptide". It was fun and kinda crazy, going over that first hump you were literally air born free falling for a second or two. They had to make the pool bigger because many would break their legs skimming on top of the water at the end of the slide. They made it longer but people would still skim across the top of the water and hit the wall. Not sure if that was the reason it was torn down but definately contributed to it's demise.

I know that guy in the last pic, his name is Peanut, he worked his second job with me at Weitzels Restaurant on 51st. Peanut would always carry a bottle of liquor in his boot.

Haha thanks for posting all of these. I didn't know Kevin Fleming helped with this book, he's well known photgrapher.

Sand Dollars

I'm so glad you are posting all of this information. It's so interesting to find out all of the history of our favorite town. I don't think I know this much about my OWN town!

Sand Dollars

The old Atlantic Hotel was a lovely building. What a grand old place it must have been.