+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Ocean City History Books

Did the dead whale wash up in front of Paul Reveres?

Sand Dollars

How did you come by all of these wonderful books? Just by chance? Or did you inherit them? I'd love to see some of the pictures in this latest addition if you could.

Sand Dollars

I've collected these books over the years from a variety of sources. I'm always on the lookout for ones I don't have. Most of the more unusual ones I bought on eBay, but a few were stumbled upon in used book stores. Most of the ones I have left to describe here are more common, although only a few are still readily available online or at the LSS Museum Gift Shop.

Here are some of the more unique pictures from the most recent book posted, A Century of Seashore Hospitality The History of Ocean City Maryland.

I've repeated the captions in case they are hard to read.

[img width=500 height=343]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2764/4489979988_b072d9daf9.jpg[/img]

Only a handful of hotels and cottages dotted the resort coastline during the late 1800s.

[img width=500 height=372]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4015/4489979942_1d2cb681ca.jpg[/img]

The resort's beach has gradually built up over the years, from several feet below the boardwalk (above) to just inches from the ocean walkway.

Despite what the caption above indicates and although sand has built up over the years, the boardwalk has been rebuilt several times. One of these rebuildings in the 1920s or 1930s lowered the boardwalk to beach level.

[img width=500 height=320]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4048/4489980010_a05cc16913.jpg[/img]

Sunday was a special time for strolling down the boardwalk in the best of attire many years ago.

Suits, ties, and hats! Imagine how hot that was, and usually no AC to go back to!

[img width=341 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4489980064_6032427b81.jpg[/img]

After a day at sea, pound fishermen returned to the beach where a horse would pull the boat ashore. (above, top)

Pound boats, long sturdy crafts, were the first commercial fishing boats in the resort. The boats were moored n the beach. (above, bottom)

[img width=326 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4032/4489336051_002bea9b93.jpg[/img]

Thirteen year old Harry Tellum, Jr.. boated the first blue marlin here. The 350-pound fish was caught in August of 1941.

[img width=500 height=341]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2781/4489336071_e82d7bb0b9.jpg[/img]

In 1935, only a handful of men were needed to guard the beach here. Among the early crew were Harry Kelley (center of first row), now the mayor of Ocean City, and Robert Craig (second from left, back row) who now captains the 120-man force.

FYI, this book caries no copyright markings and is over 25 years old, so reproducing these images here should be okay. If there is an image owner who has an objection, please contact me.

Sand Dollars

I absolutely love reading all of your posts, but this one in particular. It's like a synopsis of Ocean City history. I really liked how prophetic the last paragraph is. Who could have predicted the Ocean City of today way back then?

Thanks again for sharing all of this with us. And please don't stop!!

Sand Dollars

Really interesting. The part about the whale is hilarious (and somewhat disturbing). When in doubt, use a stick of dynamite!

Ferrynut
    Sand Dollars

WOW!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH OCGuy.

I've been waiting to see this for over 30 years! Do you think that there are any more out there? Surely someone must have taken pictures in color!

Speaking of color...From your memories what was the boats color during it's OC years?

The Department of Marine and Aviation (Municipal Operator of the System) transitioned during the early 1960s from a dark, rich red (which sometimes faided to a pink brick sort of hue) with white trim and black funnels paint scheem first introduced in the late 30s to a mustard Yellow with dark blue trim and red funnels livery - very soon thereafter changed to a dark blue trim and funnel paint scheem with white pilot houses. Just as an asside- since the 90s the yellow has morphed into a darker shade of orange with the same dark blue funnel and trim and white pilot house arrangement.

The reason I ask is that I have an unconfirmed suspicion that the three boats of the class which included Knickerbocker were never given this new treatment before retirement. Is this your recolection?

While I several good color shots of the boats taken during the late 1950s I have never seen a single color picture of the boats at the end of there service lives 1965-67 or after. So I ask...Red or Yellow (...Neither)?

Think about this....without a color picture or an eyewitness acount (rarely a written record)...we have no idea what color certain ships were painted during the Civil War (which really sucks if you are trying to build an otherwise accurate model of an ironclad ram or monitor from plans... which by the way do still exist)!

Every day in New York, a couple of hundred people, who might be able to answer my color question... are dying off and someday there will be not a one to answer this otherwise very simple question! but you who saw her might!

Ferrynut
    Sand Dollars

This Ferry guy is crazy....this doesn't have anything to do with Ocean City!

Sand Dollars

Ferrynut,

Glad I could help.

I sent you a separate message with my personal email addres if you want to contact me directly (See My inbox at the top left of this page to get the message). I do have some more info, but no color pictures.

I was 8 years old when this ferry was cut up, so my memory is sketchy at best. However, in my mind's eye it has always been the yellow shade that was common for these ferries in that era. It is possible my mind has just superimposed the color based on seeing these ferry's in the NY harbor, but I doubt it.

I saw it grounded for a few years. It was near the Jolly Roger Amusement park which had a train that went out towards that area of the bay and I was always fascinated by it. I just happened to be at the ebach when the article above was published and I saved it for all of these years.

OCGuy

Ferrynut
    Sand Dollars

OCGuy,

I could not retrieve your message (MY Inbox is empty). I would love to know what the content was - more info would be great.

Sand Dollars

OCGUy this book sounds really interesting. I like that fact thats its written from a family's journal. It's hard to imagine OC in that era. I may have to pick this one up.

Thanks again! This is one of my favorite threads.