+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

New Book on Atlantic Hotel

The last few months have been great ones for people interested in OC history with a few new books already published and a few more on the way.

The OC Life-Saving Museum just announced the publication of a new book titled 102 Gentleman & A Lady. by Gordon E. Katz. It provides a biography of the 102 people who formed the Atlantic Hotel Company in the 1870s.

I just ordered my copy and I'll post more information after I've read it. It is available exclusively from the Ocean City Life-Saving Museum for $24.95 plus tax and $6.95 S&H. I am really looking forward to getting this book.

More information is available at: http://www.ocmuseum.org/index.php/site/shop_article/102_gentlemen_a_lady

gerryu21220
    Sand Dollars

Re: Ocean City History Books

OCGuy -

I sent a private message, however I'm not sure if you received it. I can't seem to find my own PM inbox or sent messages...

Gerry

Sand Dollars

Lov the ocean city volume 1 &2 boooks! i have them for all the towns/ cities around where i live!

Sand Dollars

Ocean City, Maryland, Captured Memories

This book, like the last one, is a book of OC photographs. This book is smaller than the prior one, but still has a few interesting pictures.

[img width=407 height=500]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4418716902_24c3f2e778.jpg[/img]

Ocean City, Maryland, Captured Memories

Photography by Roger Miller

Text by Chris Bohaska

Image Publishing; 1989; pg 72

This book is an interesting, but minor addition to my collection. It features photographs from the city and a few from areas around the city. The pictures are interesting, and cover some non-typical subjects, but none are so spectacular or so unique that they stand out or invoke any special memory for me. The book opens with a message from Roland E. Powell, who was the Mayor of OC at the time he book was printed.

The Book has 10 sections:

- Mayor's Forward

- Introduction

- History (fairly standard OC history writeup)

- Old Town

- Midtown

- North Ocean City

- Bayside

- Recreation

- Accommodations

- Surrounding Areas

Each section has a page or two writeup that describes the area of the city or topic that is the focus of the section.

Sand Dollars

Labor Day riots of the 1960's? wow

Sand Dollars

Labor Day Riots

The Labor Day Riots occurred in 1960 and involved 2,500 people battling police around City Hall. You can read more about them here:

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/articles/2010/09/10/Top-Stories/Labor-Day-Riots-In-Ocean-City-Recalled-50-Years-Later

and here:

http://www.ocmuseum.org/index.php/site/oc-memories_article/the_labor_day_riots

Sand Dollars

City on the Sand

Original Cover on the left, current cover on the right.

[img width=236 height=350]http://covers.openlibrary.org/w/id/1617108-L.jpg[/img] [img width=230 height=350]http://img2.imagesbn.com/images/142040000/142044850.JPG[/img]

City on the Sand: Ocean City , Maryland and the People Who Built It

By Mary Corddry, Tidewater Publishers, 1991, 200 pages

Copies of this book are available from the Ocean City Lifesaving Museum or online.

This is the first book I read about Ocean City's history. It is the book that sparked my interest in this history. Its author, Mary Corddry, was the Eastern Shore reporter for The Baltimore Sun for 17 years. During her tenure at The Sun,
    Ocean City transformed from a small town, regional vacation destination focused to the fully developed nationally recognized destination of today. This book is consistently referenced by most books and articles related to Ocean City that followed it. The book is mostly text, but includes relevant photographs and drawings every few pages.

The book provides a comprehensive coverage of Ocean City from the arrival of Giovanni da Verrazano in 1524 to the early 1990s when the book was written. It is arranged in ten chapters that are essentially chronological. These chapters are summarized below:

1. The Beginning - Describes early settlers and landowners in the area, the founding of the Atlantic Hotel, and the arrival of the railroads to bring tourists across the Eastern Shore to Ocean City.

2. The Formative Years - Describes the establishment of some institutions we know today including the boardwalk, the pier, Trimper's Windsor Resort, the fire department, life saving stations, and the contributions of the Showell family (hoteliers and business people), Laws family (merchants), and Townsend family (two generations of the first doctors in OC).

3. A Woman's Place - Describes several of the women who established and ran most of Ocean City's early hotels. Women whose names and hotels are still recognizable in town today include Shreve (Plimhimmon), Hastings (Avalon, Shoreham, Mayflower), Dennis (Dennis, Del-Mar), Massey (Hamilton), Kelley (Royalton, Beach Plaza), Rounds (Majestic), Laws (Beachway, where Ocean Gallery is today; Coronet, destroyed in the 1962 storm), Conner & Ludlum (Miramar, Santa Maria, Dunes, Dunes Manor).

4. Men of the Sea
    - Describes the early fishing camps and the men who launched row boats into the ocean surf to haul fish from the fish pounds on the ocean (before the days of the inlet providing access to a safe harbor). Also describes the establishment and role of the Lifesaving Service, Coast Guard, and Beach Patrol.

5. Stormy Times
    - Describes the 1933 Storm that cut the inlet, and the changes to the fishing and clamming industry that the inlet brought. Also describes the destruction brought by the 1962 Ash Wednesday Storm.
    6. Coming of Age
    - Describes the 1950s and 1960s in Ocean City. Starts with some of the vices that arrived, or became more prevalent as Ocean City grew including liquor, drugs, and the Labor Day riots of the 1960s. Includes lots of interesting information on the development of Ocean City in the 1960s and 1970s. Has a section on Bobbie Baker's Carousel. Also covers the extensive development at the north end of town. Includes sections describing developer James Caine's real estate ventures, including property boundary disputes and filling of bayside wetlands to create the land where some of his developments were built. Also covered in depth is the collapse of Caine's businesses as the real estate bubble burst in mid 1970s. The high rise condo boom and bust is also described. This is the longest chapter in the book and much of the history presented within it is documented few other places (and most of those other places reference this book as a source).
    7. On the Map with Mayor Kelley - Mayor Harry Kelley is amongst the most famous men of modern times in OC's history. He was a native son who grew up in his mother's hotels. He was a lifeguard, a volunteer fireman, and served as mayor from 1970 until his death in 1985. He loved harness racing, but fought to keep gambling out of Ocean City. He became nationally known for bulldozing sand back onto the beach after the winter storms of 1977, despite the objections of the Army Corps of Engineers. By all accounts, he was quite the character and was a great mayor to the town. When I was a kid, I remember the advertising boat Ethel, and the Supersign it carried, sailing up and down the beach advertising Ocean City businesses, but also including the message "Mayor Kelley Welcomes you to Ocean City." He was the face, and perhaps the heart, of the city for many years.

8. Samplings of Success - Descriptions of two of Ocean City's newer business successes. The successes of the Harrison family and the Phillips family and their Ocean City businesses.

9. Interlude on the Ocean
    - A very short chapter describing sea bird watching and whale watching from boats off the Maryland coast.

10. In Full Bloom
    - A brief description of Ocean City in 1991, the year the book was written.

It's been several years since I read this book, but writing this post has renewed my interest. Perhaps I'll add it to the list to reread when I am at the beach sometime this year.

Sand Dollars

Not a book review in this post, but some great news on an excellent book I previously reviewed (see post #20 on page 1). The book, Ocean City, Maryland: A Pictorial History, has been reprinted and now available in the Ocean City Life-Saving Museum gift shop and online at www.ocmuseum.org for $19.99. It has been out of print for 10 years. This is the book to own if you only own only one OC history book. It is very well researched and has lots of interesting text and some great pictures that I have only ever seen in this book.

You can get more information at http://oceancitymd.gov/blog/?p=1097 .

[img width=300 height=451]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250220_10150272031983211_195902303210_7438543_2821 439_n.jpg[/img]

Binnybin1
    Sand Dollars

Re: The Resorter 8/1965, Part 1 of 4, Pages 1 to 17 plus ...

Thanks so much for posting this! My grandparents owned the Ship Cafe in the '50's, 60's and sold it in the 70's. What great memories I have of that place!

Sand Dollars

Your grandparents know my dad then.