Thread: Phillips

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Crablegs are generally natives of the West Coast or Alaska.Yep,frozen and shipped in.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by BALTOBOB View Post
    Crablegs are generally natives of the West Coast or Alaska.Yep,frozen and shipped in.
    Right on Bob! The only saving grace is that with the volume of people that those places see, you know they are getting them shipped direct, and they are putting them out as fast as they get them in... it's not like the stumbled across a package of them in the bottom of a food lion freezer case then took them home and let them acumulate 4 more months of freezer burn till sombody finally came in to order them off the menu....

Sand Dollars
    I love watching The Deadliest Catch. Makes me hungry for crab legs every time I see it. An I have new found respect for those fishermen. I know I couldn't do it.

olive
    Sand Dollars
    To be honest with you, I do hit the AYCE buffet at the Bonfire every year just for the crab legs. They are ALWAYS delicious and I don't mind paying what I pay for them because it is a treat. Many people turn their noses up to the buffets, but as far as crab legs go, I can say I get my moneys worth, especially when here at home you pay $8-$12 per pound and maybe get 2 or 3 clusters and have to prepare them myself. Oh, and I don't care where they come from.

JustBeachy`
    Sand Dollars
    [QUOTE=BALTOBOB;22370]Dean,
    It's more about the misrepresentation of a product.[/
    QUOTE]

Much like your "farm fresh produce" stands in the middle of June. I don't know about you, but the produce in our area isn't usually ready until Mid July/August.

Sand Dollars
    [QUOTE=JustBeachy`;22388]
    Dean,
    It's more about the misrepresentation of a product.[/
    QUOTE]

Much like your "farm fresh produce" stands in the middle of June. I don't know about you, but the produce in our area isn't usually ready until Mid July/August.
    Well, actually you have to remember that the ground in Ocean City Md. is on avarage 10 degrees warmer than that of western Pa. Which would allow for earlier planting, thus yielding an earlier crop. Now I'm not going to defend every mom & pop fruit stand, but when they have peaches a month earlier than Pa. I would think it's a safe bet that everything is on the up & up....

Sand Dollars
    I am not defending Phillips ... but ...

I do acknowledge that the quality at the Phillips Crab House location has been steadily declining over the years. I don't think I have ever had a "bad" meal downstairs, but it is certainly not the best seafood that OC has to offer. I did go to the buffet at that location about 4 years ago and I was not impressed. The food was mediocre at best. Again, this buffet seems to satisfy the crowd that is more concerned about quantity that quality. Also, I have been to Jonah & the Whale several years ago (BIG mistake!) and I would have to say that Phillips is the better one between the two.

We often eat breakfast at the Phillips by the Sea location on the boardwalk and have always had very good food there. I have never eaten dinner there, so I cannot speak of that, but have heard positive things. Possibly since it is much smaller it is easier to control the quality. I think that is the problem with Phillips, they have grown too large and have lost control of the quality.

Over the past several years, I have tried other seafood restaurants in OC that put places like Phillips to shame (Captain's Table, Captain's Galley II, Nick's), so with places like these there is no need to go to Phillip's (but let the other suckers go there so we don't have a big wait at the good places!!)

Sand Dollars

Phillips

I remember going to Phillips Crab House 20 years ago before the AYCE crabs and the buffet....the food was excellent. I truthfully haven't had anything BUT the buffet from Crisfield in 10 years just because the buffet has everything and anything on it my family may want to eat.

We stopped going to the buffet up at the Phillips Crab House on 21st (?) street because the food wasn't as good as the food on the Phillips Seafood House (141st?) and the seating was more cramped.

I think if you want a meal that is cooked to your specific expectations, then any buffet shouldnt be an option because its pretty much made generically for the public...but if you want a buffet with lots of options and MD crabs (in the late summer) then you should hit Phillips. The only other buffet I went to was the 49th street one in that hotel (dont remember the name because it was 14 years ago) and that didnt match up to Phillips.

Kristie

Sand Dollars
    "We stopped going to the buffet up at the Phillips Crab House on 21st (?) street because the food wasn't as good as the food on the Phillips Seafood House (141st?) and the seating was more cramped."

Most likely the food you ate at the buffet was the leftover food from 141st the night before.

Sand Dollars
    Most likely the food you ate at the buffet was the leftover food from 141st the night before.
    Well, that would explain a lot, because the 141st location was the first place to start going down hill!