Thread: Phillips

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    deedee3370
    Sand Dollars

Phillips

Hi Everyone,

I went to OC this past weekend, and had a fantastic time. I was so excited that when I got there that Phillips was open, the one near 140th street. When I was down in December, all the Phillips restaurants were closed. Right away, I new I would be going to Dinner at Phillips, as this is my favorite restaurant in OC. (The best one is the one on 21st Street). What a disappointment. The food was just horrible. I ordered crab bisque soup. All I could taste in the soup was black pepper. It did not even taste like crab. When I called the waitress over to tell her I did not like the soup, she kept on stirring the soup with this strange look on her face, like what is that?? Needless to say, later that night I got sick. The rest of the food was just so-so, nothing I would go back for. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the way the Phillips restaurants cook their food at the different locations??? To be fair, Phillips did take my soup of my bill, but I'll wait for the 21st Street location to open before I go back to Phillips.

Sand Dollars
    If I were you, I wouldn't be in any big hurry to go to the 21st location either... I've wrote many posts on this forum displaying my dissapointment with Phillips. So at the risk repeating myself let me tell you, that like you I once held that place up as my OC favorite too. I had 3 bad meals (at the 21st location) three years in a row, and this past summer I couldn't even bring myself to go there. trust me, there are a lot of better restaurants to spend your money at than this place....

Sand Dollars
    I also have condemned Phillips on many occasions.Stay away.
    Always remember:
    THEIR CRAB MEAT COMES FROM THE FAR EAST AND THEY DO NOT SUPPORT MARYLAND WATERMEN.

JustBeachy`
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by BALTOBOB View Post
    THEIR CRAB MEAT COMES FROM THE FAR EAST AND THEY DO NOT SUPPORT MARYLAND WATERMEN.

They don't support Maryland watermen??? That's pretty bad!!!

We ate there only twice and it was awful. Dean is right, there are plenty of good restaurants to spend your money in, Phillips ranks down there with Paul Revere's in my opinion.

Sand Dollars
    The first, and only, time I went to Phillips was at their 21st st location and we walked in, got a whiff of the smell, and walked right back out. It smelled like my basement. Damp and musty. I ate at their other location once and the food wasn't even so so. It was pretty bad. So they've been on my list along with Paul Revere's and Jonah's for places to avoid.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by BALTOBOB View Post
    I also have condemned Phillips on many occasions.Stay away.
    Always remember:
    That is only ONE of the reasons we stay away. The other reason is the quality of the food, or lack thereof. Seems to me as though they are existing on past reputation and the numbers of OC visitors who come from far inland. Those people seldom get to experience really good seafood "back home," so they don't have much to compare with if they go to the AYCE places and/or to Phillips (especailly the buffet, which is also very disappointing at their Baltimore Harborplace location).

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCtheBeach.com View Post
    That is only ONE of the reasons we stay away. The other reason is the quality of the food, or lack thereof. Seems to me as though they are existing on past reputation and the numbers of OC visitors who come from far inland. Those people seldom get to experience really good seafood "back home," so they don't have much to compare with if they go to the AYCE places and/or to Phillips (especailly the buffet, which is also very disappointing at their Baltimore Harborplace location).
    True.Just look, their advertising is geared toward folks who are not familier with Maryland seafood.
    For example,They sell "Maryland style "seafood.I think state law prohibits advertising Maryland seafood if it's not local.Also, they refer to the "blue swimming crab" which is native to Asia and is no way the same as a Chesapeake Bay blue crab.

Sand Dollars
    A few people have posted some good reviews on here about the boardwalk location, I've never eaten there, but based on my experience at the 21st, 140th st, and (the worst one of all) the Inner Harbor location. I really couldn't see myself gambling with a night of OC dinning, to give it a try... In my opinion - at one time this was one of the very best restaurants in OC, but over the years they have jumped on every chance they had to cut a corner and save a buck, and it shows. When I was a kid they used to be lined up down the street to get in there,.. nowdays, you can pretty much walk right in off the street and get seated. There IS a reason for this.

Sand Dollars

Phillips

Have tried the Anaapolis city dock location also...twice. Not any better than the others. The only good thing there is the view.

Sand Dollars
    Ooops...ANNAPOLIS