Thread: Grand Hotel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars

Re: Grand Hotel

I have to say I agree with ocguru. Way more people go the extra mile to bad mouth a place then sing it's praises on Trip Adviser or any other site. I mean honestly when you stay at a hotel and all is good you don't generally ask for the manager just to tell em he or she's doing a good job. Same situation with these bad reviews, I personally stayed at a place this past fall that had more negativre then positive reviews on TA, and if you paid me I don't think I could have found anything to complain about. Reviews are good starting points but you need to consider the sorce of the info being posted - some people are miserable all the time no matter where they are or what they are doing.

I have never stayed at the Grand, (stayed many of nights when it was the old stowaway) but I would have a hard time believing it's a dump - in the first place, it's not that old to be run down, it's got a very modern design to it, and they get top dollar for summer rates, with out a lot of vacany year after year. So they must be doing SOMETHING right...

Sand Dollars

Most definitely right about Trip Advisor. I never trust that website. I've stayed in places that were given horrible reviews on there and found the rooms to be the total opposite.

Who knows Bob, you may go to Va. Beach and find the hotel that was supposed to be so good was really terrible. I can't believe that there was NOTHING in OC that suited her. Very strange indeed.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by ocguru

Be careful of what you see on Trip Advisor. I have read these and have learned that while some may be true, the people who write them do not even have to prove that they stayed at the property. I could go on now and write something bad about any hotel I don't like.

I was just looking through this site and see that you can make a reservation here. They also have reviews from people who stayed at the hotels. It even says you can earn more sand dollars by booking here. COOL!
    Agree with your first paragraph, and as for your second paragraph, I think it's a cool feature as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanM

I have to say I agree with ocguru. Way more people go the extra mile to bad mouth a place then sing it's praises on Trip Adviser or any other site. I mean honestly when you stay at a hotel and all is good you don't generally ask for the manager just to tell em he or she's doing a good job. Same situation with these bad reviews, I personally stayed at a place this past fall that had more negativre then positive reviews on TA, and if you paid me I don't think I could have found anything to complain about. Reviews are good starting points but you need to consider the sorce of the info being posted - some people are miserable all the time no matter where they are or what they are doing.

I have never stayed at the Grand, (stayed many of nights when it was the old stowaway) but I would have a hard time believing it's a dump - in the first place, it's not that old to be run down, it's got a very modern design to it, and they get top dollar for summer rates, with out a lot of vacany year after year. So they must be doing SOMETHING right...
    Again, I agree about the reviews. I've come to notice this pattern regarding most reviews ranging from a hotel to a PC video card. I think people just like to make a spectacle of complaining whereas people who are satisfied with the product just simply 'move on' and live their life. I'm currently researching dishwashers and I'm not exaggerating when I say the ratio of bad to good reviews is 10 to 1, regardless of the model. On a personal note, what is interesting to me is while the bad reviews of the Grand scared my wife away, they have no effect on what she wants for a dishwasher. She's of the mind that we're getting a Samsung dishwasher simply because it will match our Samsung refridgerator and Samsung Oven/Range even though the Samsung line received one of the worst reviews. Frankly, I'm happy with the 14 year old and 13 year old dishwashing units. They just need to be coaxed along alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

Most definitely right about Trip Advisor. I never trust that website. I've stayed in places that were given horrible reviews on there and found the rooms to be the total opposite.

Who knows Bob, you may go to Va. Beach and find the hotel that was supposed to be so good was really terrible. I can't believe that there was NOTHING in OC that suited her. Very strange indeed.
    Z, I have experienced that as well with reviews. We're actually going to Williamsburg, but you are right. I'm actually dreading that will happen with the hotel there. If that happens, I'll have trouble resisting the urge to say "Told you so" That could be hazardous to my health! lol. There was a hotel that suited her and I said 'No'. After being scared off by the bad reviews of the Grand, she decided she wanted to stay at the Hilton. It just simply wasn't in the price range we had originally agreed upon. As for your last sentence, this might shed a little more light on subject. She has prematurely (according to her physician) entered "the change of life". I was told this little 'episode' is just one of many uncharacteristic things that will happen and I need to just deal with it (thanks doc!). I just hope she doesn't change her mind again and want to go somewhere else at the last minute (crossing fingers). Another example is she just decided last week out of the blue that the dog kennel we use and have booked for that weekend is no longer good enough so we found another one and went and checked out their facilities. Thankfully, she liked what she saw and the dogs seemed to like it as well, so we booked that place for them. Once again, I'm crossing my fingers.

Sand Dollars

Bob I feel for your wife. I remember when it happened to me. I could be totally irrational. Be patient..........and get her some hormones! lol.

No, seriously! They help so much.

OCPrincess
    Sand Dollars

My family stayed here two years ago and we were very dissapointed. We stayed the middle of July and the hotel was packed. The room was very dirty and the hotel staff was very rude. Tried to go into the pool after a long day on the beach but it was full of guests! The only upside to the hotel is that it's right near Fish Tales and Phillips (my favorite places to eat). After an "accidental" butt grabbing incident i will never stay there again.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by OCPrincess

We stayed the middle of July and the hotel was packed.

Tried to go into the pool after a long day on the beach but it was full of guests!
    huh..... wow... the nerve of some people! Who in the heck did they think they were being in that pool???

Sand Dollars

it always looked so fancy from the outside

breet
    Sand Dollars

i stay here once in 2007 itsd ok and room service is also ok .

Eithan

i am stayed so many times here it is fair to me and service also good for anyone . you can go without any doubt .