Thread: Grand Hotel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Grand Hotel

I'm seriously considering booking a weekend here in the near future. Has any member here stayed there and what are your impressions? Any warnings?

Thanks.

tequilanddonuts tequilanddonuts's Avatar
    Sand Dollars

Re: Grand Hotel

I stayed there in 2005. It was okay, clean, nothing spectacular, kind of a no frills hotel on the boardwalk. Best part was the ocean view.

Sand Dollars

My husband and I have stayed there a couple of times. Both times were fine. The rooms were clean and the sheets were changed daily which I really liked. We did try the hotel restaraunt and weren't impressed, especially the breakfast buffet.........cold. So I wouldn't reccommend that. But we enjoyed having the rockers in the lobby next to the boardwalk and the 24 hr. coffee shop was a convenience. We enjoyed stopping there early in the morning for coffee and a doughnut and sitting at their little bistro tables on the boards to watch the early morning activity.

The only real drawback I would say is that the balconies are definitely not private. There is a divider between each room, but it's like a heavy mesh, and yes you can see through it. So if there are people out on their balconies next to you, you won't have the privacy you might want. But to be honest, nobody was ever on their balconies the same time I was so it wasn't an issue for us.

I think you'll be satisfied staying there.

Sand Dollars

Thanks. We're looking at staying there next month (February) as a weekend getaway. We always celebrate our anniversary about 2 weeks early on this same weekend every year. This may possibly be the last time we can take a trip for a long time due to a major job shake up concerning me.

I was reading the reviews on tripadvisor and I've learned to take those with a grain of salt but I read there was several instances of the fire alarms going off due to people not knowing how to make popcorn correctly in the microwaves. I'm hoping they have that issue solved by now.

As for breakfast, we'll probably hit our favorite place, Happy Jacks.

Sand Dollars

I'm a big Happy Jacks fan too! It's like a little Mom and Pop place in the middle of all the madness. Hope you have a good time...... and good weather!

Sand Dollars

My husband and I stayed here for several nights in December when we came down to see the Winterfest lights. It was a very pleasant stay. Room was spacious and comfortable and the price was great for a Winterfest Special. In summer season I'd perhaps be concerned about noise from the halls and balconies but for an off season trip I have no hesitation to recommend it. OC is great to visit in the winter we think. Enjoy!

Sand Dollars

Sigh........

Well, the wife read the trip advisor reviews and to be blunt, it scared her off and she said she doesn't want to stay there. We or I should say, she hasn't found any other hotels/motels in O.C. for that weekend that she would like to stay at in our price range. So, she has picked either Virgina Beach, Newport News or Williamsburg. So, I'm looking at places there until she changes her mind again.

Sand Dollars

Hey Bob, it's the off season what do you mean "no other hotels in price range"?

There are good deals all over, especially this time of year. I don't know where she looked but there are, just guessing here, others she isn't aware of. What's the price range and what days? I can tell you where to check out if you want. I just can't imagine there are no deals in that price range, not looking right IMO and can help out.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by lbo

Hey Bob, it's the off season what do you mean "no other hotels in price range"?

There are good deals all over, especially this time of year. I don't know where she looked but there are, just guessing here, others she isn't aware of. What's the price range and what days? I can tell you where to check out if you want. I just can't imagine there are no deals in that price range, not looking right IMO and can help out.
    You put the quotations around the wrong part of that sentence. The quotations should be around the most important part that said "she would like to stay at". You are fight, we found some deals and in fact we found many in the price range, but there were no others she wanted to stay at within the price range. The price range was $250 for the days of 2/12-2/15. She did find that she wanted to stay at the Hilton on 32nd, but to stay there would eat up most of the trip budget. Anyway, it's a moot point now. I made reservations in Williamsburg for that weekend after she finally found a hotel that would suffice.

Thanks for the input.

ocguru
    Sand Dollars

Be careful of what you see on Trip Advisor. I have read these and have learned that while some may be true, the people who write them do not even have to prove that they stayed at the property. I could go on now and write something bad about any hotel I don't like.

I was just looking through this site and see that you can make a reservation here. They also have reviews from people who stayed at the hotels. It even says you can earn more sand dollars by booking here. COOL!