+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    deedee3370
    Sand Dollars

Stay away from Princess Royal Ocean Front

Hello Everyone, I just came back from OC. I have to warn everyone not to stay at the Princess Royale Ocean Front. This was by far the worst hotel I've ever been too. I reserved an Ocean Front Suite. When I called for my reservation, I requested an upper level room. Guess what I got, a 1st floor suite. I had no view whatsoever. I complained to the night Manager who said there is nothing he could do. Very unhelpful, and could care a less. To get to my room, I had to go up to the 2nd floor, walk what seemed to be forever, to get on a different elevator to go back down. It took 15 minutes from the lobby to my room everytime we wanted to go somewhere. The suite smelled like mildew and was very narrow. In the morning I complained to the Day Manager who also said there was nothing he could do, and proceeded to tell me that he had been in every room on the first floor and that they all have a nice view. I told him that it was a nice view if I liked looking at a bush, and that was not what I paid almost $400 for. He said again there was nothing he could do. No one at that hotel cares about the guests. I met a floor manager who works there and complained to her. She was very nice but again could not do anything. She told me that everyone complains about this hotel. She has worked there for many years and she even covers up her name tag so people do not know she works there. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to warn people, do not stay there. The hotel staff including the day and night manager were very rude. The building smells like mildew and there were a lot of fruit flies in our room. Never again will we stay there.

Sand Dollars
    Wow. Sounds like things have really changed since we stayed there, but we were there the first year they opened, so things would have been much nicer then. I do remember the elevators and long walks though. And the inside (pool view) rooms were musty and humid and noisy, so I'm glad we didn't get one of those. Sorry you had a crappy time. How come we don't have any rights when we reserve one thing and get something else and no one wants to do anything about it? You should write to the Chamber of Commerce and tell them about the hotel and their treatment. Seems that the Chamber wouldn't want to have a hotel like that associated with their name. And send a copy of the letter to the hotel and tell them you sent it to the C of C.

deedee3370
    Sand Dollars
    Thanks, I think I will send a letter to the Chamber. The sad part is that no one at the hotel cares about the guests. Tourists are their bread and butter, and when I told him I would make sure that my family and friends never stay there, he shrugged it off. There are many other places to stay in OC. My family rents in OC every Summer and we travel down for weekends all the time. My biggest mistake was choosing this hotel.

Sand Dollars
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I should say I am surprised - but I'm not. I have heard quite a few stories like yours over the last few years. The "attitude" may be what upsets me the most.

The Princess Royale is listed in the GDS (Global Distributin System) for hotel reservations, so I cannot block it from booking on our site. However, you won't see it on our main hotel reservations page at http://www.octhebeach.com/ocean_city_hotels.html. "I" get to build that display.

Sand Dollars
    You might also send a letter to these people.

Ocean City Hotel, Motel, and Restraurant Owners Association
    P.O. Box 340
    Ocean City Md

Also,

Maryland Chamber of Commerce
    60 West St, Suite 100
    Annapolis Md 21401

Also, if you go to this site, you can add a comment about the conditions of the hotel and your exerience.

http://rentalo.com/64648/princessroyale.html

Sand Dollars
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Maryland.html

I'd have to say I'm not surprised by your experience after looking at the many negative reviews on tripadvisor and the mulitiple "Management Responses" to all the complaints.

Sand Dollars
    So you booked an Oceanfront room and got an oceanfront room? Only you "requested" a higher floor but didn't get it. So your request wasn't granted, I'm sure they had a reason for it, mayber everything up higher was booked? I can see asking 1 manager but 3? It sounds like the kid who asks his Dad to so something and he says no, so the kid asks his Mom. Unless I'm wrong they still gave you what they sold you: an oceanfront room.

Sand Dollars
    I agree with you, VitaminJ, I don't really believe that the complaint is valid because they ended up with a first floor room. When you make a specific floor request at a hotel, I have never had one guarantee you a floor preference, but can only accommodate it as vacancy allows. However, the complaints regarding the condition of the rooms is valid. I don't know what to think of this hotel, from website/brochures it appears to be a nice place to stay, but I have seen so many mixed reviews on this forum and TripAdvisor that I will probably stay away from this place.

Beth'sOC
    Sand Dollars
    Fruit flies are swarming right now.

We had some in our office....I got some flying around my home...

and trust me, its not from having food or dirt laying around. I am OCD and my house is spotless. But we love to open the windows this time of year.

Those things are just everywhere right now. Ugh. it sucks.

JJ_Walters
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by nlfissel
    I agree with you, VitaminJ, I don't really believe that the complaint is valid because they ended up with a first floor room. When you make a specific floor request at a hotel, I have never had one guarantee you a floor preference, but can only accommodate it as vacancy allows.
    Well, the Comfort Inn Boardwalk has ALWAYS hooked us up with the floor we request. When we say "top floor, oceanfront", that's what we get. There have been times when they say there are no top floors available. No problem, we book a different time when they do have them available.

I guess it comes down to how the hotel handles reservations. If they just put people on a random list and then decide the rooms later, well that's asking for trouble. If they immediately reserve a specific room, it shouldn't be a problem.

If the OP requested an "upper floor", and they said they would honor that, then that's what they should have got. The complaint is valid, IMHO.