+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: If you could change one thing about OC what would you ...

OH YES! As old and off as that place was, it was wonderful to just wander around the little shops and pick up little souvenirs or odd little things and have a bite to eat. We loved to walk along the dock and look down for starfish or just sit and watch the boats, etc. We always say "I miss that place" when we're in OC.

Thanks for the reminder.
    "Walking along the dock" and "sitting and watching the boats" didn't pay their lease or justified its existence. It is to bad but Ocean City is a commercial enterprise.

Beachdude

Quote Originally Posted by BALTOBOB

"Walking along the dock" and "sitting and watching the boats" didn't pay their lease or justified its existence. It is to bad but Ocean City is a commercial enterprise.
    Kinda like a hotel choosing to operate a restaurant on it's property the way they feel it best serves their guests needs while making a profit at the same time. Commercial enterprise and capitalism decide which businesses succeed or fail.

Sand Dollars

That may be the reason that they're no longer there, but it doesn't take away from the fact that it was unique and enjoyable to visitors. OC is QUICKLY losing all it's charm and ambiance due to too much new construction. You really can't deny that Shanty Town had a quaintness and charm about it. I'm not going to argue politics with you or anyone, and don't care what the back story of why they are no longer there is. It would be nice if they could bring something like it back...........same as 45th St. Village. What a mess that turned out to be. "It's being torn down..........no wait, no it's not. Well, let's just tear HALF of it down!" The powers that be in OC need to see that people come there not only because of the bars and beach. A lot of us long to find a place that has that homey long ago charm that OC once had.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Beachdude

Quote Originally Posted by BALTOBOB

Kinda like a hotel choosing to operate a restaurant on it's property the way they feel it best serves their guests needs while making a profit at the same time. Commercial enterprise and capitalism decide which businesses succeed or fail.
    Touche'

But I still bet it won't make it.

Beachdude

OC does not have the charm you speak of. It had it once decades ago but not now and will never again. How about that deserted shopping center at 95th street which has been vacant for years. The city has done nothing in trying to resolve that bleak paved eyesore.

WestOC84
    Sand Dollars

When Shanty Town was coming to an end a few business owners had a petition going and said the land owner wouldn't renew their leases. I also miss the old stinky beach before they built those houses at the old bridge. There was some history there. It made me mad when they just tore up or covered the last remaing piece of the old bridge and put up a house that hasn't been sold since it was built. But thats the way it goes sometimes.

Sand Dollars

Its funny you guys mention Shantytown....my husband and I were just talking about that yesterday and how we miss it. I loved the shops and the fact that you could sit there on the dock and fish or just relax for a couple minutes. Last summer, we drove down one of the roads to find where Shantytown once was (I think there is a mini-park there now?) and we ended up in the midst of those ritchy houses and a ritchy wedding that was happening in that mini-park. Ugh. We got the "You dont belong here" looks......we didnt fit in with the million dollar homes.

tequilanddonuts tequilanddonuts's Avatar
    Sand Dollars

Thank you Bob for the kind suggestion. The Rec center has some great programs.

Sand Dollars

My parents used to drag me to Shantytown when I was a kid. Those are some of my worst childhood memories--oh, the boredom! The only thing worse that those trips to Shantytown were the trips to the 45th Street Village! But I'm sure I would have appreciated it as an adult...maybe.

I would argue with those who state that OCMD has lost its charm. Granted, it no longer has small-town charm, but that's not just OC---look around you. There isn't much small-town charm left in the world. OC does have a great charm and a great feel, and that goes beyond the beach and bars. Where else in the world can you find 47 min-golf course in just six miles? Whether its bike riding in Northside Park, cruising the boards, wandering through a Candy Kitchen, or crabbing off a pier, OC has a charm that extends far beyond has-beens like Shantytown and 45th Street Village. They closed because society as a whole did not find them entertaining or worthwhile anymore.

Sand Dollars

I reallly don't think I'd change a whole lot about OC...

For the most part the overdevelopment has all but stopped. I think the police do a good job patroling the boardwalk, I mean I don't care for the overly vulgar t-shirts myself, but if your kid can read then they've no doubt heard the words, and seen more sexual orientated stuff on T.V. I miss Shantytown too, but Bob's right, we went there and loved it, but we really didn't spend any money over there... as far as the hotel prices, I agree they are too high. Doesn't seem to hurt them much in the summer but if they would lower them down a bit they would probaly get a lot more people there in the shoulder months. If people could stay there cheaper off season, they would be able to go and help out the retail and restaurant business - which would be good for not only the business owners but for the locals too, because it would keep some of the places open longer.

Really the biggest thing I'd like to change about OC is I'd like to have my mail delivered there permenetly!