+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: If you could change one thing about OC what would you ...

Quote Originally Posted by tequilanddonuts

I would love to see a bandshell on the bayside at Northside park or at the Convention center. People could sail or boat to hear live music with great acoustics from the bandshell and the audience would bring lawnchairs like they do now.

Second, a complete restoration of either the OC Racquet club or that old mall on 94th Street into a YMCA. We locals would love to have our own YMCA with afterschool programs and childcare, and something for the older kids too, along with exercise and gym glasses, basketball etc.
    Obviously you haven't checked out the programs offered by the Ocean City Department of Recreation at the Northside Park complex.

Beachdude

I would like there to be more truthful advertising. There are several establishments who falsely claim they are "world famous" or their product is. Another popular lie is the use of "voted best " slogan, which most of the time can't be substantiated or is based on an outdated rating by an insignificant source. Give me a break.

Businesses that exaggerate their quality don't rate well and just make themselves look stupid by trying to insult the public's intelligence.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy

There is a new ordinance that limits these display of T-Shirts to inside the store. I believe they are not supposed to be visible from the boardwalk. According to the 18 December Maryland Coast Dispatch "The ordinance now prohibits any crude language or explicit content from outdoor displays as well as any products that promote the usage of drugs, alcohol or firearms." (See http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/article.php?cid=18&id=7715 )

Of course having a law and enforcing it may be two different things.

It would be nice if the boardwalk patrol could enforce that ordinance to PEOPLE wearing the tshirts too! There are some really disgusting ones walking around.

The only other thing that really, really bothers me is people walking barefoot on the boardwalk. The boardwalk is a disgustingly dirty place (bird droppings, people spitting, food, etc) and I always see people walking in their bare feet up and down. I actually watched one MAN walk barefoot into a public restroom on the boards! I almost tossed my lunch just thinking about what his feet were coming in contact with. I know it's the beach and all, but I do think from a health standpoint that people should be required to wear some sort of footwear on the boards.

Sand Dollars

Less Condos and high rises. Call me old fashioned, but even when I was a kid 25- 30 years ago, there were less condos and high hotels and the town just seemed more "town-ish" and less "city-ish".....it had charm. I still love OC and I agree it has everything....but there are just things that I miss that it USED to have.

Sand Dollars

Great topic.

I would like to see a change in the number and variety of shops on the boardwalk with fewer head shops, a ban on blaring music outside the business, and more opportunities to buy clothing, art, jewelry, crafts, food, that is not of the cheapest lowest common denominator. I would not trade OC for 10 Rehoboths but they seem to have revitalized their boardwalk shopping district to an extent that OC has been unable...of course they always forget to order sand for their beach, but that's another story!

OC had unique shops like the glassblower, some intersting souvenir shops, and family run food stands at one time but they slowly disappeared and were replaced by inferior businesses. Worst case scenarios abound with the obscene t-shirts others have noted, and in one instance a family food stand being blasted with "music" from an adjacent head shop that is so loud you can't order food without raising your voice.

Personal tastes aside, none of us really gets our dollar's worth with the current selection of trade on the OC boardwalk.

Sand Dollars

I'm not sure if the hotels still do it or not, but I hate the 3 day minimum stay in the summer. I would go down even more then I do now if that was not the case.

Sand Dollars

Thanks for the update on the T-shirt ordinance! i guess I'm not the only one who feels that way.

As for the question of bringing in people in the off-season, it is easier said than done. If the restaurants stay open and the people don't come, then they lose money. If the opposite happens and visitors can't find a place to eat, they may choose another destination for their next weekend. We were down this weekend, and just about everything was closed, and yet there were a fair amount of people around (relatively speaking for a weekend in January). We went to about six restaurants before we found that BJ's was open. I think the city has done a pretty good job with September, October, and May, and even President's Day is getting more popular. The winter months are just going to be tough for a seaside resort.

Sand Dollars

We Usually go down all year round and in the end BJ's for dinner is what we end up with. We go down and spend the day at Assateague and honestly just pass through OC we were down for the opening of Winterfest this year and while there were plenty of people this time we found the fewest places open than any other year.

Hotels offer great deals in the winter and it's nice to spend a weekend around the indoor pool but it seems like even if they spent the money to advertise it they wouldn't draw many people. The shore is a summer thing for most.

All in all since we are all talking about small things we would change it is still a great place t relax at and take a break from the world. No beach town will ever be the same as it was 30 years ago but compared to others OC comes close. Thanks for the imput everyone and hope the winter isn't being tough on you. Remeber we are already half way through january so Spring isn't that far away!!!!!!

WestOC84
    Sand Dollars

I would want to bring back Shantytown. I miss that place it looks stupid now with only 2 or 3 houses built.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by WestOC84

I would want to bring back Shantytown. I miss that place it looks stupid now with only 2 or 3 houses built.
    OH YES! As old and off as that place was, it was wonderful to just wander around the little shops and pick up little souvenirs or odd little things and have a bite to eat. We loved to walk along the dock and look down for starfish or just sit and watch the boats, etc. We always say "I miss that place" when we're in OC.

Thanks for the reminder.