+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

If you could change one thing about OC what would you change?

So as sit here it is now 32 degrees and the warmest it has been her in a week. Tonight they say a clipper storm will hit Maryland but lucky for me just brush by Eastern PA. So I'm trying to stay warm and thining of OC. We have discussed many things here but how about somethinga little different. If you had the power to change one thing in OC what would it be? The Traffic? The Boardwalk? wWhat do you think would make a great resort even better?

Sand Dollars

Re: If you could change one thing about OC what would you ...

The only thing I would like to change would be some of the dillapidated buildings downtown torn down or fixed up. The ones that were original or really old beach houses I'd love to see brought back like new. They have so much charm. Aside from that, I can't think of a thing. OC has everything we want. Quiet when we want it, noise when we don't, restaurants or eat in, sun and sand or window shopping. There's just everything there in one place!

tequilanddonuts tequilanddonuts's Avatar
    Sand Dollars

I would love to see a bandshell on the bayside at Northside park or at the Convention center. People could sail or boat to hear live music with great acoustics from the bandshell and the audience would bring lawnchairs like they do now.

Second, a complete restoration of either the OC Racquet club or that old mall on 94th Street into a YMCA. We locals would love to have our own YMCA with afterschool programs and childcare, and something for the older kids too, along with exercise and gym glasses, basketball etc.

Sand Dollars

I know this seems like a small thing, but it really does bug me...

I would like to see some type of ordinance or law governing the types of T-Shirts that are displayed at the shops on the boardwalk. I am not a really conservative guy, but some of them are offensive and some are downright profane. I shouldn't have to have "the birds and the bees" discussion with my children while walking on the boards, and I shouldn't have to explain why the F-word is inappropriate while out for a leisurely family stroll.

The traffic can be bad at times, and I would love to see some of the vacant and unkept buildings torn down or revitalized, but overall, OC is a wonderful place, and there's not much I would change.

Sand Dollars

Condo Prices!!! By the time you spend your money on gas and pay for a week in OC, there is no more money to go out to eat. Luckily, I'm not much of a restaurant guy and spend most of my time on the beach. It's still free......isn't it??!! : )

tequilanddonuts tequilanddonuts's Avatar
    Sand Dollars

I agree, the t shirts get nastier every year. If the kids couldn't wear it to school then it shouldn't be displayed in a public place. By that I mean that public schools do not allow tshirts to be worn that depict violence, drug use, alcohol abuse, foul language, racist or sexual content.

On the flip side, those probably sell the best and bring in the customers. And the last I heard freedom of speech is still an inalienable right in this country. I'm pretty liberal but those trashy shirtd get on my nerves too, because they're not even remotely funny, just nasty.

Sand Dollars

Why can't they sell them, but just not display them right out on the boardwalk? Sell them in the back of the store instead. Maybe a "mature audiences" section?

Sand Dollars

I guess I would make it illegal to be a complete "Butt Head". I get sick of the rude, pushy people who figure they're on vacation so I'll treat the servers and everyother worker I see in OC like a non-person. Ocean City is a great place to vacation, not much else I would change but why do people have to come there driving like idiots, acting like animals on the boardwalk, etc.

Sand Dollars

There is a new ordinance that limits these display of T-Shirts to inside the store. I believe they are not supposed to be visible from the boardwalk. According to the 18 December Maryland Coast Dispatch "The ordinance now prohibits any crude language or explicit content from outdoor displays as well as any products that promote the usage of drugs, alcohol or firearms." (See http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/article.php?cid=18&id=7715 )

Of course having a law and enforcing it may be two different things.

happy393
    Sand Dollars

The only thing that I would change would be to draw more people there in the off season. There are so many quaint bars and restuarants open in the winter. OC could really draw in people for the winter w/ some fun and festive things to do? fireworks over the beach for New Years? Parade for New Years Day? a Mummers type parade? More organized activities?

For summer, not a thing needs to change for me. I do agree w/ the nasty t's in the back of the store. Just like the years of yesterday when the Xrated movies were in the back, behind a curtain.

Concerts? who knows. Do the locals even want this though? They may LOVE the off season and its quite?