+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Administrator
    Sand Dollars

Re: SandDollar store - New Design Launch specials

Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL

But will writing a review on the hotel I'm staying at still earn sanddollars? Or are they only awarded if the review that you write is on a hotel booked through OceanCity.com? Just need a little bit of clarification please.

And I hope that the page for the Sand Dollar Store remains in the first spot on the page so we don't have to search for it. Can you make it a sticky?

You guys just keep getting better and better!
    To ensure accuracy of the reviews only guests who book through OceanCity.com are permitted to submit reviews for the hotels in our reservation system. Of course we welcome you to review your stay in the Hotel Forum which will also earn you Sand Dollars.

We have created a static page for the Sand Dollar store and will soon follow up on your suggestion to link to it from the left column so that the information is always easy to find.

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the helpful feedback.

Nat

Sand Dollars

Admin,

Do you lose sand dollars when you when someone gives you a "thumbs down"? I suspect I have a "hater" who gives me a thumbs down one every post I put up, regardless of its content. Just wondering.

Sand Dollars

Wow. That's just plain mean. I think I've only ever given out 2 thumbs down..........might even only be one.

Sand Dollars

Yeah Z,

If you go look at any of my posts, there are almost all -1. Someone is hating me!!!

Administrator
    Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Britt4duke

Yeah Z,

If you go look at any of my posts, there are almost all -1. Someone is hating me!!!

Hi Britt4duke,

Sorry to hear about this 'hater'. Currently Karma (the thumbs up/thumbs down voting) has no effect on earning SandDollars.

The Karma system isn't fully developed yet. When we roll out the next phase, Karma will affect the rate at which a member earns SandDollars. A user with higher Karma will earn SandDollars faster than a member with low Karma. Also, the impact of a thumbs up/thumbs down vote will depend on the voter's Karma. So if a 'hater' with low Karma makes a thumbs down vote, it will have little effect compared to a thumbs up vote from a member with high Karma.

The idea is that members who posivitely contribute to the forum both will earn SandDollars faster and will have a greater impact on determining the Karma of other forum members.

We'll provide a detailed description of how the new Karma system works once it is implemented.

In the meantime, you do not need to be concerned about the affect of any thumbs down votes on your SandDollars.

Thanks,

Nat

Sand Dollars

Cool. Thanks Nat.

Sand Dollars

I think this whole "Sandollar" "points" "Karma" system IS a stroke of genius, HOWEVER - I think it would really be in the best interest of the site (and more importantly the viewers) if member did not focus on it as much. The reason I say this is, although it's a good thing that we've had a jump in particpation since it's induction, I worry that certain members are more concerned with scoring these points (ie always being the "good guy" or starting a witch hunt ect. ect.) then providing useful sincere information.

I don't think there is as solution to this on a whole. I would just like to encourage other members to just forget about all the bonus points you'll get for writing something and just be genuine.

Personally to me it doesn't matter - looking directly above this post for example Britt has only 44 less Sandollars then me, even though I have well over twice as many posts as him. So what does that tell us? This tells us that people find his posts very popular, and mine well... "not so much" as they say. AND you know what? That's fine. I honestly don't care. I'm going to do what I've always done on here, and that is give honest reviews, of places I've been, crack joke that no one other then me finds funny, call a foul when I see another member get out of line, speak the truth, and tell it like I see it... and if that gives me bad Karma, or lowers my sandollars, or whatever then so be it... Like it or DON'T like it but my opinions aren't for sale, and it'll be that way with me till the administration here, tells me to leave. With me what see is what you get.

In closing I DO want to point out that even though I used Britt as an example - BY NO MEANS do I have any personal problem with him or his posts. I only used him as reference because his post was directly above the one that I was writing.

Administrator
    Sand Dollars

I agree with DeanM that the focus of the forum shouldn't be on gaining SandDollars or Karma. It is just intended to be a side benefit, and not distract from the forum community or turn it into a contest to see who can earn the most SandDollars.

Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion about the thumbs up/down voting and SandDollars. Currently the thumbs up/down voting has NO EFFECT on SandDollars. Eventually we plan to have Karma affect SandDollars. But now everyone's posts count equally. But there are different factors that affect your SandDollar total, such as we gave out less SandDollars for older posts before we introduced SandDollars than for posts made since the SandDollar feature went live. Also certain actions such as starting a thread, making a blog post, and submitting photos earn SandDollars at different rates. We don't want to publicize this because we don't want people gaming the system. But it so happens that Britt4Duke has made contributions, such as loading in the photos of old Ocean City, that accumulate SandDollars at a higher rate than a standard post.

We are expanding SandDollars to other areas of the site beyond the Forum. Now booking a room on OceanCity.com or submitting a hotel review also earns SandDollars.

DeanM - Your point is well taken. The focus should be on the quality of the posts, not on SandDollars or Karma. If we implement these features correctly, they shouldn't distract from the activity on the forum as they will simply track the member's activity.

Thanks,

Nat

Sand Dollars

I completely agree DeanM. And with regard to my sand dollars compared to yours, my numbers are skewed because the site awards more dollars when you post pictures or start threads. A few months ago, I posted (page by page) an old tourist guide. I scanned each page and posted them. All those pictures gave me alot of dollars.

But I do agree with you DeanM. I don't like to track my dollars, but if I am going to get a thumbs down, I want to know why. Maybe I made a statment that was untrue, or is just plain unpopular. Either way, I want to know sometimes why a statement I make is unliked. The more feedback I get, the more I learn from others.

Administrator
    Sand Dollars

Congrats to members Z06RL and sunkayblind who are the first to take advantage of the Sand Dollar program by redeeming some of their Sand Dollars for rewards from the Sand Dollar 'store'.

Z06RL earned her Sand Dollars by being one of the most active and enthusiastic participants in the OceanCity.com forum. Z06RL chose gift certificates at the Captain's Table.

sunkayblind earned her Sand Dollars by booking her hotel reservation for her summer vacation through OceanCity.com's online reservation system. Each booking earns Sand Dollars. sunkayblind redeemed her Sand Dollars for Ocean City Family Discount Coupon Books.

We hope Z06RL and sunkayblind enjoy their rewards. Don't forget that you are eligble for rewards once your Sand Dollar account reaches 200. We'll be adding many more rewards soon. Current rewards and a description of the program can be found at the Sand Dollar Rewards Center.

We're looking forward to redeeming many more rewards.

Best wishes,

The Staff at OceanCity.com