+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Morbid Manor and the Pier

A little help-- I found a 1987 full-page ad for Jolly Roger both in town and on the pier and the illustration depicts Morbid Manor haunted house which burned in 1995. Strangely, the title of the attraction in the image states "Year of the Vampire" which is odd because I wasn't aware of a different name. Can anyone verify? Also, check out the drawing of the "Petting Zoo" which was under the large dome structure. I'm not positive, but there is a similar dome in this picture of the pier from 1981 that may or may not be the petting zoo.

Sand Dollars

Re: Morbid Manor and the Pier

I don't remember a petting Zoo or the Morbid Manor with a different name. However, I do know that in the 80s that their was a big dome on the pier that was one of those 360 degree surround video theaters. I think that is what is in the postcard picture. The postcard is much earlier, probably around 1980 since there is no Harrisons Harbor watch, inlet village, or riptide water park. The HHW opened in 1984. Perhaps they converted the structure to a petting zoo in its later days. I know it had some other applications beside the theater, but I don't recall what they were.

Anyone know when the Morbid Manor was built. On of the articles written at the fire refers to it as a 20 year old structure, but I did not think it was around as early as 1975.

Sand Dollars

I don't remember a petting Zoo or the Morbid Manor with a different name. However, I do know that in the 80s that their was a big dome on the pier that was one of those 360 degree surround video theaters. I think that is what is in the postcard picture. The postcard is much earlier, probably around 1980 since there is no Harrisons Harbor watch, inlet village, or riptide water park. The HHW opened in 1984. Perhaps they converted the structure to a petting zoo in its later days. I know it had some other applications beside the theater, but I don't recall what they were.

Anyone know when the Morbid Manor was built. On of the articles written at the fire refers to it as a 20 year old structure, but I did not think it was around as early as 1975.

Sand Dollars

i remember seeing that haunted house, just like the picture with the airplane crashed in it and all. does anyone remember what it was like inside or have any pics??

Sand Dollars

Speaking of Morbid Manor.... was a new one recently rebuilt? We haven't walked out onto the pier for about 6 years, but if there's another haunted house ride - I'm there! I was just on Flickr today and I saw a new picture, so it got me wondering!

Sand Dollars

Yes, there is a portable dark ride out there called "Morbid Manor 3-D." I have heard it's worth checking out.

Sand Dollars

I've caught some You Tube footage of the new Morbid Manor and unless they are all filming in the same spots, the ride seems short. Speaking of The Pier, were the pier rides always owned by Jolly Roger and they just recently renamed it? I can remember when I was younger that it was just known as "The Pier" and I knew the rides weren't affiliated with Trimper's but I didn't think they were associated with J.R. at that time.

Sand Dollars

Jolly Roger bought out the "Ocean City Pier Company" in 1974. However, they did not start marketing the pier as a Jolly Roger park until much later. The 1987 ad at the top of this thread links the two, but I think for the most part even then the pier rides were refered to as "pier Amusements" or similar.

BTW, the city owns the pier, but the building and pier are franchised out on a very long term (50 year?) franchise.