+ Reply to Thread
    Debi Taylor
    Sand Dollars

Hooper's Crab House

I was hestitant in trying this place based on what I read here at the forum; however, went just there the weekend of 5/13/06 and was pleasantly surprised. My boyfriend and I ordered the $25.95 "All You Can Eat" crabs, ribs, corn on the cob, hushpuppies, steamed shrimp, clam strips.

The crabs were small but were quite flavorful and meaty. Filled with some of the best mustard I have had in a long time. Service was great and our waiter was quick and very accommodating. All-in-All I would give this restaurant an 8.5 rating. Would definitely go back.

Debi
    Nottingham, MD

Sand Dollars
    Our family has made it a tradition now to go to Hooper's one night during the week for the AYCE crab feast. We have always found the found to be very good and if you get to eat outside on the bayside deck on a nice evening, it can't be beat!

rob_p
    Sand Dollars
    Have they gotten better? The last time my family went there was probably like 15 years ago but it was pretty average to bad back then. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

evildiva
    Sand Dollars
    Hoopers is awesome...NEVER had a bad meal there and we go 2-3 times during our 10 day stay!!! I started going there as a young girl with my parents...We love it!!!

jimmyd
    Sand Dollars
    They must have changed something...we were there 2 summers ago and I thought we might be going into a tourist trap type restaurant, and sure enough we left there feeling like we were at one. The food was mediocre at best, with the seafood portions small and you could tell they were frozen beforehand. The service was lame with the waiter sweating PROFUSELY!! It was nasty. We will never go back there.

OC4Life
    Sand Dollars
    In general, I am not a big fan of any buffet or all-you-can-eat. While there is usually a lot of food, in my opinion, it is only mediocre food at best. For that reason, I rarely go. That being said, my family and I have gone to Hooper's many times in the past. We all get the Crab Feast, so I can not comment on menu items. The Crab Feast has always been pretty good. For example, I do not like the seasoning they cook the crabs in and ask to have it washed off. The waitstaff does this without any problem. My sons like crabs (with the seasoning) and steamed shrimp, and lots of them. They order more almost as soon as it is delivered to the table. The waitstaff, again, brings the food quickly and politely, and while the crabs may be small, they are pretty tasty and worth the work. The clam strips are obviously the frozen variety, but I like them. They remind me of the Friday Fish Fry I used to go to at Howard Johnson's years ago. The corn on the cob, fried chicken, hush puppies, etc., are all decently prepared.... Nothing outstanding.

Needless to say, we prefer to sit on the deck, but have been seated in the dining room and all was well.

JustBeachy`
    Sand Dollars
    We aren't big fans of Hooper's, when we were there it was dirty and I don't think the a/c was working, actually we ended up leaving and going to Nick's House of Ribs instead.

OC4Life
    Sand Dollars
    I would also take Nick's over Hooper's any day!!! It is our #1 favorite OC place!!!!!!! If I could only go to only one dinner in OC it would be Nick's, I love it that much. The crab cake and ribs combo is my favorite, and do not even get me started on the crab toast....yummy.

katie00
    Sand Dollars
    Yesterday my family and I went to Hooper's for the first time. I thought it was really very good. I had broiled crab cakes, and they were the meatiest crab cakes I've had in a long time!