+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Puppy Mommy
    Sand Dollars

Paul Revere's

I spent 2 wonderful summers working at Paul Revere's (1998 and 1999). That place will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't know if this makes anyone feel better, but that place had the cleanest restaurant kitchen I have ever seen. I have worked at a lot of places, too. They were very strict about that. Also, the Health Department would visit us, just like every other restaurant and there were never issues or anything. I do think the place needs a major update and that may help with people thinking it's dirty.

Also, that place is always packed. From open to close there was always a line. It was great for us. A lot of people hate the place and that's fine, but I will tell you that we had A LOT of people who returned each summer. I heard a variety of reasons from my customers. It was a tradition for some and others just like it b/c it is good for kids.

People also complain about the 15% tip already included. I agree that you shouldn't be forced to pay for service if it's bad, but you also have to understand that not a lot of people tip at buffets beacuse we just "get drinks" (not true at all). Also, that 15% is split amongst the staff. You sever only gets about 10%. Each server there is rated at the end of the summer on their performance. If they are good, they get 11%. If they suck, they can get as little as 8%. We weren't paid an hourly wage, either. It may seem a little weird how we were paid, but it's legit and we all left that job very happy at the end of the summer. That made us work even harder to keep that place in order. We were being graded.

I ate there twice a day, six days a week for two summers and nothing bad happened. OK, I did gain some weight, but that's it. It is a good place if you are hungry and want something cheap.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Puppy Mommy
    I spent 2 wonderful summers working at Paul Revere's (1998 and 1999). That place will always hold a special place in my heart. I don't know if this makes anyone feel better, but that place had the cleanest restaurant kitchen I have ever seen.
    Sorry, but speaking for myself there is nothing you could say about that place that would make me "feel better" about it... I've never been in the kitchen, I have been in the restrooms, dinning room, and ate the food. The place is lousy! it's musty smelling the food is old and cold, and wasn't any good to start with, they heard you through that salad bar, hoping that you'll fill up on that before you get to the actual food! They advertise it as $8.99 but then they rape you on the drinks and throw that tip on your bill at the end because they know that as bad as the food is, most people probably wouldn't even leave a dime no matter how good the service was...

OC4Life
    Sand Dollars
    Puppy Mommy,

I have to ask, are you affiliated in any way with the restaurant???

It seems awfully suspicious to me that your first (and only???) post would be to defend this place!!!!!!

Sand Dollars
    Puppy Mommy,

I have to ask, are you affiliated in any way with the restaurant???
    I believe that she already stated that she was "affiliated" with the restaurant... Did you read her post? Paul Revere is what it is- Cheap food that is good for the kids.

OC4Life
    Sand Dollars
    CBayWolf,
    Yes, I read her post, but I meant affiliated as in an owner or family member of an owner. Call me cynical, but I just do not believe any waitstaff would write something like that post, having been a waitress myself many, many years ago.

For example: if the restaurant tacks on a 15% gratuity, why when it is split up among the servers do they only get 10%???? What happened to the other 5% and why is Puppy Mommy okay with that? Would you work for no hourly pay, knowing that a 15% gratuity was being charged on your behalf but that only if you were very good (according to whoever is "grading" you) would you maybe see 11%, or only 8%, of it at the end of the season???????

Another example: her statement that the kitchen at Paul Revere's is so clean is suspect to me. Having worked in a few different restaurants in my day (from fast food to an upscale restaurant) I would have to say that what happens in most restaurant kitchens should stay there and never be told. In the best of situations, keeping the food storage areas clean and pest free is a real challenge. And keep in mind that this place clearly has some kind of mold problem and is near water. It is my feeling that pest control would be a big problem. Believe me, people would not eat ANYWHERE, if they saw the back-end of the business. Not that people spit in your food or anything, just that it is better to believe that the food is handled by pristine, clean people in pristine, clean conditions. Enough said.

In any event, when my kids were small, we also went to Paul Revere because, as you said, the food is cheap and not bad enough to hurt you. However, once the kids reached 10 or 11, even they did not want to go back.

Puppy Mommy
    Sand Dollars
    Man, you guys are tough. No, I am not affiliated in any other way, besides being a former server. This isn't my first post on here. I used to post under CSheaDavis, but I can't remember that password or what email account I used, so I just started a new profile.

I'm not going to defend the place anymore. I just thought I'd say something nice about a place that means a lot to me. I am sure you'd all do the same. When I was there, I worked with an awesome staff and our lives revolved around that place. I had the time of my life.

At first, the whole pay idea did bother us. We even thought about walking out a few times. Then a few waitresses who had been working there for some time told us to wait it out. We did. I know it's never proper to talk about how much you make, but we averaged about $3000 a month there, after taxes. You give that to an 18 year old and you better believe we were happy people. That also doesn't include table tips we received. For it being such a crappy place, we sure made a lot of $$ by people leaving extra on the table. The extra 5% went to the kitchen people, busboys, food runners, and hostesses.

When it comes to talking about a restaurant's'kitchen, I will very openly talk about any kitchen I worked in. If you can go into a restaurant and see the whole entire staff eating there before and after work, then must say something.

I do think that the place needs a renovation. I haven't been there since I worked there, so maybe it's gotten bad. I just know that they must be doing something right b/c it was always packed.

Puppy Mommy
    Sand Dollars
    I forgot to ask..

How do they "rape" you on drinks? When I was there the drinks were .99 with free refills and the glasses were quite large? Did they raise the raise a lot?

Sand Dollars
    EVER go to Paul Revere's again?.......Uh, nah.

ravenman
    Sand Dollars
    The last and only time I ever ate there was many years ago when I lived in OC for the summer. For someone who lived off of cans of tuna, macaroni and cheese, and beer for the summer the idea of going to a buffet was like hitting the food jackpot! After stomaching all I could take in that dump I wondered why I had wasted good money instead of making a better investment on a can of spaghettios. That place had a musty smell back then and dim lighting so you couldn't really see what might be festering in the mashed potatoes. I'll admit I was lured by their advertisement picturing a spread of fresh seafood just like most unsuspecting tourists are. Instead they served up what was left of Paul Revere's horse.

myocbeach
    Sand Dollars
    I agree, just ate at the Paul Revere last weekend and yuck. I mean some of the food wasnt too bad but the place smelled like mold and rotting wood. you're must better off going all you can eat at Phillips for double the price.