+ Reply to Thread
    mmcginnity_99
    Sand Dollars

R.I.P For The Hobbit?

I've heard rumors that The Hobbit was being torn down for new condos.

Has it been demo'd yet?

If not, what is the time table for demolition and new construction?

I also heard that it will be coming back as part of the new construction. Is this true??

OC John
    Sand Dollars
    All true. The Hobbit is currently closed, but still standing. I believe I heard that the completion date is in 2008. And, yes, it will include a new Hobbit.

Sand Dollars
    I've posted this once before, but it's worth another pasting...

Editor

Months of speculation on the proposed sale and development of the Hobbit Restaurant ended late Tuesday afternoon as a settlement was reached between restaurant owner Tom Heiderman and the Buccini/Pollin Group of Wilmington, Del. and Washington, D.C.
    Details of the transaction were not disclosed, with Heiderman saying only, “I was very happy with the deal.”

The agreement gives Heiderman ownership of space in the nine-story building for a new 90-seat Hobbit restaurant, which will be one of the amenities used to market its 88 condominium units. In keeping with the Lord of the Rings theme of the Hobbit the development will be known as Rivendell, and will also include indoor and outdoor swimming pools and a bayfront fitness center.

The plan to re-develop the 3.6-acre parcel off 81st Street in Ocean City surfaced in the spring of 2004, when Heiderman suggested the possibility to the Ocean City Planning and Zoning Commission.

Although the size of the parcel allowed for a much larger building, Heiderman opted for something smaller and earned the City Council’s approval in June of that year.

Some 21 months later, and after one prospective sale failed to come together, the deal is done, with work underway on sales offices in the 81st Street Plaza on Coastal Highway. The Mark Fritschle Group of Ocean City will handle unit sales for the company.

Heiderman said Thursday that with the exception of refinements the new owners believe are necessary to a high-end condominium complex, Buccini/Pollin would be following the plans he had laid out for the council back in 2004. Those plans won the praise of neighbors and even some groups and individuals who were ardent foes of bayside development.

“I feel confident that this group of developers will build something that is a good addition to Ocean City,” Heiderman said.

The construction schedule for the project calls for work to begin in April or May, with a completion date in the early summer of 2007. As for the restaurant aspect of the plan, Heiderman, general manager Chris Ciletti and others were clearing out the Hobbit this week in order to save specific items for inclusion in the new operation. That includes the original paintings and the bar.

The Buccini/Pollin Group is a real estate development and management company that operates in the Mid-Atlantic states of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia and New Jersey, and in Massachusetts.

The company has offices in Wilmington, Del., Washington, D.C. and New York City, with divisions operating hotels, retail office space, residential developments and mixed-use properties that combine commercial activity with residential use. The move into Ocean City is part of the company’s expansion into the residential market.

The company lists 30-some holdings in its real estate portfolio, including The Madison hotel in Washington, D.C., the Hilton Hotel BWI Airport and the Concord Plaza in Wilmington, Del.