+ Reply to Thread
    OCbaby
    Sand Dollars

Anyone ever had dinner at the Ocean Club?

I have been to the ocean club for drinks, how is their food? Has anybody also been to Horizons for dinner lately??? Appreciate your comments.

arlenecap
    Sand Dollars

Ocean Club

Too late, it was torn down and they are building high price condos.

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars
    I believe the previous poster was asking about the food located in Horizons which is located in the Clarion Hotel up town.

The "OLD" location of the Ocean Club was in fact at 49th and the oceanfront, it was sold and demolished for some much needed new condos.

The owner of the Ocean Club also owns the Clarion and he relocated the new and improved Ocean Club inside the Clarion.

So both the Ocean Club and Horizons do exist albeit at another location.

I have not eaten at Horizons so I cannot offer an opinion.

ziptrip125
    Sand Dollars

Funny

NY-MD

Re: Horizons / Ocean Club

I always enjoy your sarcastic humor, much needed new condos!! :-)

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars
    Ziptrip:

Glad to hear you find my comments enjoyable, others in the past have taken offense oh well.

I was down to OC on 3/10-3/13 and must say the building doesn't seem to be slowing at all. Condos as far as the eye can see.

As I was staying on 67th street I took a walk over to the new developement on the bay at 67th. Suncast, Sunset, Sunsomething was the name.

Although I didn't walk the entire complex there had to be well over 100 units.

Now the streets were so narrow to make room for more units unless the sun is directly overhead you will be living in shadows all the time there.

No parking to speak of but they have lined the area between the units and the road with crushed clamshells and this is where you are allowed to park.

Just to me it looks like some form of "row" housing you might see in Philly or other metro areas.

How anyone would buy in this property to live like sardines for a mere few hundred thousand is beyond me.

How the planning Board allowed such "cluster housing" is a wonder.

The old OC Health Club on all 3.6 acres the town planning Board has approved a new building with I believe 11 stories with less parking then their current regulations call for. Guess that is working to solve the growing parking problems in OC. Allow new developement to build with less then adequate parking. Wonder how those owning condos acroos the street might now feel to find themselves living in the shadow of an 11 story building. Happy??? Probably not.

How can someone be allowed to build nearly 100 units on 3.6 acres????

Where I live in some areas they have a minimum of 1 acre zoning per housing unit. In OC you get 100 per 3.6 acres. Now that's prudent planning.

Recently after spending a year in the advertising think tank the OC tourism group approved their new slogan "More Fun Here".

I guess for a mere $150,000 per year you get what you pay for.

As with most successful slogans over the years most have had the name of the area in their slogan allowing it to be tied to the attraction in the minds of those you are wishing to attract.

OC just changes slogans each year and establishes no attachment to the area being sold.

Virginia is for LOVERS, I love NY guess such successes never caught the attention of those directing tourism or those at the ad agency directing this year's campaign.

Perhaps in an effort to save $150,000 next year they might consider using
    "More Condos Here."

In which case those vacationers who travel yearly in the hope of catching a glimpse of the rare condo building could guarantee their family the chance of a lifetime in OC.

Sand Dollars

On Topic

Can we stay on topic please? If you'd like to rant and rave about the amount of condos being built in OC (I happen to agree with you that there are too many but that's besides the point), why don't you start another thread? I believe we were discussing the food at the Horizons Restaurant/Ocean Club Night Club.