+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    todd&candy
    Sand Dollars

need suggestions

will be in ocean city in sept. is there a good buffet place to eat thats not a seafood buffet

Sand Dollars
    We've gone to the Bonfire for years. Yes, they are a seafood buffet, but not totally. They have roast beef, prime rib, pork,barbecued and fried chicken all on the buffet also. Tons of salads and veggies, soup, and the best darn doughnuts anywhere. All on the buffet. We go there every single time we're in OC. So even if you don't like seafood there's plenty of other stuff to fill you up.

Sand Dollars
    Pretty much all of the "seafood" buffets have lots of items other than seafood, I have to agree that the Bon fire is the best, I also like Embers. The main thing you have to do is aviod the obvious bad ones. Stay away from Phillips, Johna and the Whale, and by all means Paul Revere's.

JJ_Walters
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanM
    Stay away from Phillips

Are you referring to Phillip's Seafood House (141st & Coastal), Phillip's Crab House (20th & Philly), or Phillip's by the Sea (13th & Boards)? Or all?

Either way, I'm surprised. I've never had anything but a great experience at Phillip's (besides the wait). Of course, I havn't been to any of these in years (and I've never been to Phillip's Seafood House), so things may have changed since the last time I was there.

Please elaborate my friend.

Sand Dollars
    I ate at the one on 141st st and it was AWFUL!! So we never went back. Then last year we decided to try the one on 20th st, and we couldn't stand the smell when you walked in the door. It smelled damp and musty like a basement. We couldn't leave fast enough.
    I do agree that Embers is very good too. I've read that Hall's is good for breakfast, but not so much for evening dinner.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Walters

Are you referring to Phillip's Seafood House (141st & Coastal), Phillip's Crab House (20th & Philly), or Phillip's by the Sea (13th & Boards)? Or all?

Either way, I'm surprised. I've never had anything but a great experience at Phillip's (besides the wait). Of course, I havn't been to any of these in years (and I've never been to Phillip's Seafood House), so things may have changed since the last time I was there.

Please elaborate my friend.
    I was referring to the buffet at Phillips Crab House on 20th. Unfortunetly, this place has gone down hill over the last 5 yrs or so. The trays of food sometimes look like they were left over from the previous night, the nice big clams have been replace with ones so small you could probably fit a dozen of them on a fork! the mussels in garlic butter are over cooked and dried out, the crab legs are the worst part of this whoel event - where once they had a self serve bin of hot huge crab legs out in the open, now they have these smalled over cooked legs (the kind you get at a chinese buffet) that you have to stand in line to have a guy put them on your plate + the fact that now they are back in a corrner hidden behide a wood post.

It pains me to write such a bad review of this place, as it was always one of my favorites. The fact is there was a time when I couldn't even have imagined going to OC and not eating at Phillips, but sad to say this place is very disapointing and I would never recomend it to anyone. They will have to do a 180 to get my business back... oh by the way, the bathrooms upstairs are enough to make you sick... "filthy" isn't a strong enough word.

JJ_Walters
    Sand Dollars
    Yikes!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like a management change. It used to be quite good, but like I said, it's been a while.

Let's see now, I've got a couple of new things to add to my "avoid" list: Serene Hotel, Phillip's Seafood House, and Phillip's Crab House.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Walters
    Yikes!

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like a management change. It used to be quite good, but like I said, it's been a while.
    I'm not sure if it's a management change, or if they have got to the point where it's just big business, and they can ride on their name. I went to the one in Baltimore a few years back and it was so lousy, they ended up not charging us for the meal - and although that was an attempt to make it right, we didn't go in there looking for a free meal, we wanted a GOOD meal. So after the baltimore experience and the last 3 to 4 visits at the one on 20th I think my money is better spent some place else.

Sand Dollars
    I have never been to the Phillips on 141st St. I have been to the buffet at Phillips Crab House on 20th Street once, and I will admit that it was mediocre at best. Of course, my buffet expectations are lower than ordering an entree off the menu. I think that if you eat downstairs and order off the menu, Phillips is a good place to eat. I have always found Phillips by the Sea on the boardwalk to have excellent food and service.

I am looking forward to trying the new Captains Table restaurant when it reopens in the Miramar condo building, hopefully it is on schedule to open this year. In my opinion, the Captains Table was the best restaurant in all of Ocean City and hopefully it will continue to be in its new home.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by nlfissel
    I think that if you eat downstairs and order off the menu, Phillips is a good place to eat. I have always found Phillips by the Sea on the boardwalk to have excellent food and service.

I am looking forward to trying the new Captains Table restaurant when it reopens in the Miramar condo building, hopefully it is on schedule to open this year. In my opinion, the Captains Table was the best restaurant in all of Ocean City and hopefully it will continue to be in its new home.
    You are probably right, downstairs WAS always good, and may in fact still be good, but by the same token, the buffet WAS good at one time also, so I'll have to hear some pretty positive reviews before I gamble a night of OC's dinning there.

I couldn't agree more with you about the Captains Table, and I think a lot of people really missed it this past summer. I know my family and I sure did!