+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    BeachGurl0915
    Sand Dollars

The Serene Hotel Is a Great PLACE TO STAY!!!

I have been reading the comments about the serene and I would have to say that they are wrong. It's a great getting away hotel. NO hotel is Ocean city will ever be a 5 star! There are none trust me. I would give the SERENE hotel a STRONG 3 1/2 stars. It's right next to the beach and that huge park up the street, where they have fireworks, they have an outdoor pool. It's very clean and the staff is very friendly. I would tell anybody to stay there , even if they were family's or senior's. Its just an great place to stay. I will be staying there again this summer with my friends again in June.

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars

What makes a 5 star hotel?

Out of ten reviews from another site nine were negative. The truth strongly negative. I don't know what your idea of a "getting away" hotel is I thought all hotels were for getting away.
    How many other hotels have you stayed at in OC? And they would be??
    How many hotels outisde OC have you visited?
    What 5 star hotels have you ever visited?

Most hotels along the oceanfront of OC are right next to the beach. That doesn't make this place real special. From the lisited reivews not much makes this place special.

That leaves two possibilities you either work for,own or hold some interest in this place or you wouldn't know a 3 1/2 star hotel from a stay in the trunk of someone's car. In either case, seems to me your opinion holds little water.

Did you post the May 21st review below???? Sounds like you.

Dec 30, 2005 "worst hotel ever period." A TripAdvisor Member, Everett
    stayed for 4th of July, paid top money and got the worst customer service along with the nastiest and...

Dec 23, 2005 "ugly, nasty, horrible" A TripAdvisor Member, Delware
    My worst hotel experience ever. A lot of money for nasty hotel room and bathroom. Small and dirty pool....

Aug 9, 2005 "Nasty" A TripAdvisor Member, Crisfield, MD
    I can't say enough about how disappointed and grossed out we were. My husband and i were looking so forward...

Aug 1, 2005 "---- house,, please do not stay here" mariac223@aol.com, bayville, ny
    OMG!! OK So I booked this hotel online,, We wanted a cheaper hotel in Ocean city. Preferably one without...

Jul 12, 2005 "find somewhere else to stay" A TripAdvisor Member, brunswick, marylan
    realizing it was one of the cheaper rates in Ocean City at close to peak season, we didn't expect a lot...

Jun 25, 2005 "it sucked" Katt0313242611@aol.com, Charlestown wv
    i really had a problem with this hotel...i mean it was ok but it needs alot of work...my sister pointed...

Jun 22, 2005 "El Dumpo" A TripAdvisor Member, Laurel, MD
    This place is a disaster -- wet floors in the guest room/"suite" after a rain (water seems to be coming...

May 21, 2005 "Great Hotel, Great Customer Service" A TripAdvisor Member, New York
    Hotel Is one of best you can get for your money In Ocean City. Room we were in was a suit. It was very...

Oct 14, 2003 "Poor Customer Service!" A TripAdvisor Member, Upper Marlboro, MD
    I read one poor review of this hotel, but thought I would give them a shot anyway. I am sorry that I...

Aug 28, 2003 "Stay Away From This Place" A TripAdvisor Member, Philadelphia, PA
    One elevator bank smelled like urine, the other,when we came back from the beach was filled with vomit...

Serene Hotel & Suites

BeachGurl0915
    Sand Dollars

Who do you think you are?

Well first of all yes I would know a 3 1/2 star hotel from the truck of my car! Second my family and I have been coming to ocean city all my life. We have stay at a number of hotel's and the Serene is the one that we have been staying at for the last three years. And I will be going back this year for two weeks in June and then again in July. You seem like you have no idea what you are talking. Have you ever stayed there or have just been listening to people that have no idea what they are talking about unless they have stayed there. ( LIKE YOUR SELF)!!!!! I really think that people should just see it for themself's.

Sand Dollars
    WOW! After reading those reviews, I can't imagine ANYBODY booking a room at this place! Those 9 people weren't just unhappy, they seem to have a real hate for this hotel.

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars

OC's Serene just 1 1/2 stars below the Ritz. Right.....

As limited space prevented me from posting the entire 10 reviews in full I now will post just one for you to consider.( Please feel free to go to TripAdvisor.com to read all the bad reviews in full.)

Most 3 1/2 star hotels are not referred to as "El Dumpo"

As a long time user of this site and others I value the opinions of those who have stayed, eaten and expierenced the area attractions first hand with no vested interest. (With some notable exceptions)

I would hate to hear about some poor traveler reading the single post "The Serene is a great PLACE TO STAY." and then arrive to find a dirty, urine, vomit infested hole in the wall with poor cutomer service. Might just put a damper on the old vacation plans with a no refund policy.

In life when 90% of people express such a strong negative opinions of anything I would have to venture a guess and believe the place sucks!

It is possible this hotel does recieve 3 1/2 stars as suggested by the previous poster but I would have to guess that rating would be when using a scale of 1-100.

After reading this review who would consider booking at the Serne????

Traveler rating:
    Ocean City: Serene Hotel & Suites: "El Dumpo"
    Jun 22, 2005: A TripAdvisor Member, Laurel, MD

Would I stay at this location again: no way!
    This place is a disaster -- wet floors in the guest room/"suite" after a rain (water seems to be coming down inside the walls), life-safety issues (lights out in stairwells and elevator lobby, and railing missing off balcony), dirty bed linens (soiled) from the previous visitor, filthy/stinky rooms on the first floor where they allow pets, and finally, a desk staff that is unresponsive, and insists on full payment in advance with "no refunds". In 40 years of travel, this is the worst place I have stayed in. STAY AT ANOTHER PLACE IN OCEAN CITY -- there are plenty of alternatives in all price ranges.

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by BeachGurl0915
    I have been reading the comments about the serene and I would have to say that they are wrong. It's a great getting away hotel. NO hotel is Ocean city will ever be a 5 star! There are none trust me. I would give the SERENE hotel a STRONG 3 1/2 stars. It's right next to the beach and that huge park up the street, where they have fireworks, they have an outdoor pool. It's very clean and the staff is very friendly. I would tell anybody to stay there , even if they were family's or senior's. Its just an great place to stay. I will be staying there again this summer with my friends again in June.
    Hi Beachgurl!
    You are most assuredly entitled to your opinion. I stayed at the Serene last August. I am sorry to say, the room was a disaster. I won't go into details. But as for me, I will never stay there again. I am glad that you have had great experiences, and I'm sure they do have some nice rooms, but unfortunately, ours was horrible.
    Wishing you all the best,
    ...Anne

Sand Dollars

Stars or No Stars

Forget about stars. Stars are very subjective.

AAA issues diamonds (on a scale of 0-5) and has a much more accurate rating system that anyone else. The Serene Hotel (and I use the word hotel loosely), is not rated by AAA. To keep this in perspective, the Carousel, the Grand & the Castle in the Sand are rated 2 diamond; the Clarion, Princess Royale, both Holiday Inns & the Dunes Manor are all rated 3 diamond. There are no 4 or 5 diamond hotels in Ocean City.

Personally, I prefer the AAA ratings because they are unbiased and are not specific to ONE visit or stay but are rather based on a set of criteria established by the organization. Customer feedback is taken into consideration.

blue
    Sand Dollars

a perfect example of ripping off young beach goers

Beachgirl, I find your post hilarious, but, of course, you are entitled to your opinion. Let's state the facts, you are a 19-20 year old girl who comes to Ocean City in June, better known as "Senior Week" "Hell Week" or run and hide week to the locals. I'm not saying your comments aren't valid, but many in June are simply looking for a place to crash or floor to sleep on. Living in town all of my life, I can remember when this place was first built and it is an "El Dumpo" The area has many first rate hotels, outside of the Dunes Manor and Carousel, which are ok. I'm talking about Coconut Malorie, possibly the new Hilton and other up scale places. Maybe you had a rough visit to the area last June and are mixing your trip up with another time you came to the beach with family

Sand Dollars
    Well, in all fairness, age has a lot to do with point of view. I'm only guessing here, but I'd say most of those bad reviews were probably written by people who were not 19-20 years old. I can remember when I was that age and my buddies and I would stay at the old Stowaway Hotel, and we thought it was just great! Probably because we spent very little time in the room...

BeachGurl0915
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Renee
    Forget about stars. Stars are very subjective.

AAA issues diamonds (on a scale of 0-5) and has a much more accurate rating system that anyone else. The Serene Hotel (and I use the word hotel loosely), is not rated by AAA. To keep this in perspective, the Carousel, the Grand & the Castle in the Sand are rated 2 diamond; the Clarion, Princess Royale, both Holiday Inns & the Dunes Manor are all rated 3 diamond. There are no 4 or 5 diamond hotels in Ocean City.

Personally, I prefer the AAA ratings because they are unbiased and are not specific to ONE visit or stay but are rather based on a set of criteria established by the organization. Customer feedback is taken into consideration.

They are all rated by AAA because they have AAA, of course AAA is going to rate your if you have there RATES in your hotel......