Thread: Best Bar?

+ Reply to Thread
    NJkritter
    Sand Dollars

Best Bar?

Hey, my best friend and our boyfriends are going to be coming to OC for a few days, so what's the best bar to go to? Any good ones around the 90-100 streets? What's the least expensive with the best atmosphere and drinks? Thanks guys!

Sand Dollars
    You'll be right at what they call the Bermuda Triangle of pub-style bars...Kirby's and Liquid Assets on 94th, and Bull on the Beach, also on 94th. Bull on the Beach is a BBQ/raw bar style pub. Kirby's is my favorite place in OC, a laid-back atmosphere with cool bartenders and good pub food -- steamed shrimp, best quesadillas anywhere and great burgers, homemade chips and other sandwiches. Kirby's is generally a packed house before the nightlife hours, from 7 through 10 or so. Right next door is Liquid Assets, a popular tasting bar and restaurant. I've never been in, but they just remodeled and added space, so they're doing something. I think a bit more pricy menu and bar, but seems cool.

I'm sure you'll hit the famous nightlife bars such as Seacrets and the Greene Turtle, as well as other famous OC bars like Buxy's, Pickles, Peppers Tavern, Tequila Mockingbird. Also, take a trip for lunch or early appetizers up to Smitty McGee's, just past OC into Fenwick Island, DE. Best combination of bar, appetizers, sandwiches, wings and everything else over there. Probably 12 minutes or so from where you're staying.

Sand Dollars
    Just a note......

If your really not particular about the beer you drink order Natural Light at alot of these bars,it's only $ 1.50 a bottle.

NJkritter
    Sand Dollars
    Ha, thanks very much!

My aunt actually told me about Seacrets, just to visit it. Not much more than that. I looked up the Greene Turtle, too. Thanks very much, the information is much appreciated!!!

One more thing: does anyone know anything about the Bearded Clam?

I just liked the name, reminds me of the show Family Guy, so I was wondering if it was worth going to. Thanks again!

Sand Dollars
    The Bearded Clam is an older bar in downtown OC. I have never been there, only have walked by. It looks as though the place has not changed much since it has been there. I am really unsure of the type of clientele it has, but I would imagine this is not one of the trendy hotspots in OC, but I could be wrong.

JJ_Walters
    Sand Dollars
    The Bearded Clam is a fun bar. It gets a lot of biker traffic, depending on the time of year, but you'll find all types of people in there. It's not really a "young" persons place - mostly 30 and up.

NJkritter
    Sand Dollars
    Thanks very much, maybe we'll stop in there just to say we were at a place called the Bearded Clam.

I'm counting the hours to get to OC. I'm dying here! Haha!

OCJay
    Sand Dollars
    The Barmuda Triangle is actually downtown consisting of Mothers Cantina, Buxys Salty Dog and Coins Pub. Warning about Buxys if you are a Ravens Fan you may not wish to go there

As far as uptown there's many bars close by. Since I am in the younger crowd I would definately suggest the Bull at 94th Street or Assets if you prefer more upscale. Kirbys is a very blue collar locals hangout. The food is improved but if you are a non smoker you will be overwhelmed by the smell of old smoke. Most of the patrons don't care. If you want to do shots with KB and Lisa till you fall down, this is your kind of place. Id have to disagree about the best bar food but thats my opinion. Teazers in the Sunset Marina or Fish Tales for my fav bar food.

The Turtle is the Turtle. If you are in the "Turtle Clique" it's fine. The owner was a Steelers fan but changed the Decor to Ravens about 5 years ago, so now the Ravens Roost hangs out there during the season. DJ's most nights with some music.

A little farther uptown you have Whiskers on 120th Street and Crabcake Factory on the Ocean Side who both serve food late nite. Whiskers is also very smoky and gets a Kirbys type crowd after 10 since they changed owners from Joe Rugatazi to Long time local Slater and Julie Beach (Marlin Moon). Crabcake has a great sports bar which was completely remodeled last year as well as outside deck on coastal with no smoking in the bar and dining room.
    They have at least 20 plasma TV's in there and turn up surround sound for sports. The night bartender Megan formerly of Ocean Club and Cottage Cafe has a big late night local following and they serve food till midnite.

Nicks on 145 has a big late night younger crowd in the bar and you can walk over to the open air pool bar at Rio Grande. It's a little "clique" as well but fun times.

Tequila Mockingbird and Duffys (new Owners) are a little farther down from there near Montego Bay. Duffys has been remodeled and TM is expanded with a new Non Smoking bar as well as 50 diffrent tequilas and very good food. Try the SLIMMY CHIMMY!

The best club is definately Marley Hall at Seacrets. They blow away the Paddock unless you want to wait an hour for a drink just to tip the lingerie clad waitresses. Good Music though. Plus at Seacrets you can get lost on the beach if you want privacy!

I would recommened a cab ride to Harborside in West OC for real local flavor.

For Younger crowds late night I also recommend Fagers especially on Mondays. Castaways especially on Thursdays

Jeni
    Sand Dollars
    any bars that allow under 21s to go there in the evening - long shot I know!!
    How about during the day, do bars such as Seacrets let everyone to have lunch etc, or are there age restrictions then as well?

OCJay
    Sand Dollars
    Seacrets has restrictions at night.

Mackys allows kids at night as does BJ's and Nicks I believe.