+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Right on JJ,
    OC wants to compete with Myrtle Beach.Keep those Baltimore and DC bucks local.Have the same quality of courses without the 8-10 hour drive.

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars

So all the $1,000,000 condos are for the visiting golfers

"So if we can get some judgement of 185,000,000 Americans with a polling of 1,000 I would have to guess the 200-300 of those who were polled about the developement in Ocean City should provide us with some sense of what people think."

As I suggested the DISPATCH poll should give us "some sense" of what the people think. Reading some of the posts here it seems to agree with the opinions of those who cast a vote in the poll. Where are all the computer
    science graduates with their posts? How about all the golfers who can't wait till the Hilton opens to fill all the available rooms.

I know people who traveled to OC for a golf outing the reviews were not positive.

Having stayed at the Coconut Malorie, The Lighthouse, Edge and the Clarion (Sheraton) some of the higher priced places over the years I never ran into hordes of golfers, computer science 22-23 year olds during my visits.

One last point OC has nothing to do with what is being built. They play no part in the planning or design of the developement. Builders build high end properties because they can realize the most profit on this type of building.
    To suggest that all the condo builders have joined together to build housing for the golfers coming to the area is hard to fathom and even harder to believe or consider. To suggest that the town leaders have some master plan to build expensive housing for golfers and high spending college graduates seemed a little hard to believe when a simple 3 word slogan seems to be a challenge they find hard to handle.

Anyone made reservations at the Hilton yet?

Still waiting.

JJ_Walters
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by NY-MD
    To suggest that all the condo builders have joined together to build housing for the golfers coming to the area is hard to fathom and even harder to believe or consider. To suggest that the town leaders have some master plan to build expensive housing for golfers and high spending college graduates seemed a little hard to believe when a simple 3 word slogan seems to be a challenge they find hard to handle.
    The influx of expensive, elite golf courses over the last 10-15 years has brought in more affluent vacationers. Without a doubt, there is a correlation.

My comment regarding the need for golfers to stay in "luxurious and expensive" hotels/condos was tongue-in-cheek. Obviously the increasing cost of hotels/condos is not due to just the increasing numbers of golfers.

Sand Dollars
    Here's an advertising idea.

Picture this:

A handsome, 30 something executive, male, sitting at his desk in the city surrounded by papers and phones daydreaming and looking off into space. He has one of those little clouds of thought above his head and it's filled with an image of him on a cloudless sunny warm summer day on the 10th green, club in hand.
    Caption underneath

"Got holes in your head? Come to OC"

Sand Dollars
    I actually just made reservations at the Hilton for the weekend of Columbus Day. When I travel on business, I typically try to stay at a Hampton Inn, which is a Hilton affiliate, and I earn points toward free hotel nights at Hilton-affiliated hotels. I had enough points saved up to get a free night and we paid $199 for the second night in October, so overall, I thought this was not a bad deal. Many other hotels in town are still around the $150-$175 a night price range, so at this time of year it is a bit more affordable. I still don't know who is going to pay the $400+ a night during the summer.

Sand Dollars
    nlfissel, I think you made a good choice all around. I did a little non scientific research myself, and from the way it looks to me you picked the very best time to stay at this hotel. It's still a good bit higher than other places,(even in the shoulder months) but october rates seem to be closer to what other hotels are asking at this point.
    I would never pay $439.00 a night to stay there in the summer, but the fact is, no matter how ridiculous it may seem to me, I guarantee you people will stay there and pay what ever it cost...

blue
    Sand Dollars

All this talk about golfers

I have read the previous posts about (rich) golfers staying in OC and accomodating them, however, it is a fact that the number of courses have caused problems for the area and the number of golfers the past five years in Ocean City is down. Some of the courses ranked in trade mags and among the tops in the country have fallen off and aren't as widely recognized in ratings. Except, the Links at Lighthouse Sound which is in Bishopville, not OC and will host a reality show for Golf Mag called the St. Joseph Pressure Challenge this spring.

Sand Dollars
    Got this in the OC online newsletter today:

Hilton Suites Triple Crown
    Two overnights direct oceanfront suite at the new Hilton Suites Oceanfront in Ocean City. Play 3 premium golf courses, gift certificate for any of the Pro shops, two breakfast/lunch vouchers $545 per person.

Note..it says $545.00 per PERSON, not night!!
    Also doesn't say that the cost of golf is included. A little better, but still not in my budget (plus I don't golf).

OCbaby
    Sand Dollars

The Haven

The Haven is open and Breakers Hotel on 3rd street - I think??? they have a very nice indoor pool and I think they are having a roof top pool also, have to check out their website, I think it is breakershoteloc.com??? someone correct me if I am wrong, I always stay at Paradise Plaza in on 9th street, they have big oceanfront rooms, took my 4 year old there and it was great, only downfall is that they do not have an indoor pool, we also stayed at the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th and boardwalk, very family oriented, they have everything, but they are 400 dollars a night, not sure what money range you are looking for, hope this helps you.

OCbaby

kristineCT
    Sand Dollars

Well

I have 2 small kids- ages 4 and 6. I usually stay at H Inn Suites on 17th. We go 1st week in Sept for lower rates.

This year we have to come in Aug. HI is same price per night. Hilton is new so I am considering paying that per night.

I am coming from CT. Drive 5 hrs b/c kids enjoy the cheesy boardwalk, beach and more importantly, kid friendly pool. I dont care about bars-- I am in bed by 8 with my husband and kids!

I can afford $3000 for 6 nights. Worth it if kids are happy