10. New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
    11. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
    12. Rome, Italy
    13. Playa del Carmen, Mexico
    14. Montreal, Canada
    15. Venice, Italy

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanM
    Z06RL, unfortunetly that place in Salisbury would probably be a dump if you got it for $500 a week. That's less than 70 bucks a night before sales tax. About 6 years ago I left for OC late at night and found myself fighting to stay awake at the wheel, I stoped in Easton, to get a room for what was left of the night. The place was horrible, and I still shelled out 85 dollars so my wife and I could each sleep with one eye opened for about 6 hours!
    Um, that's $500. a NIGHT!
    And that's just the STANDARD room rate! You can rent the penthouse, (I'll take two please) or a suite, but I don't think my imagination can calculate the numbers needed to rent the penthouse. I give this thread a BIG THUMBS UP for entertainment value.

Sand Dollars
    NY-MD, I must say, although infrequent, I agree with your criticism. I just cannot comprehend how the Hilton is going to stay afloat. I had to sit back and laugh when you commented on the adjacent businesses in the area, like the Pirate's Den and Anthony's (nothing wrong with Anthony's, but it is not the type of place that Hilton guests would go). However, I noticed in October that the Ocean Voyager Motel, where the Pirate's Den is located, is up for sale. I would imagine that this is prime property for someone to tear down and build something else, as the motel takes up an entire block.

I went on to the Hilton's website soon after they began accepting reservations just to see what it would cost to stay there for the week in July that we go down to OC and I nearly fell on the floor. I just cannot imagine who is going to patronize this hotel, considering the cost. I would think that the Hilton's owners, the Harrison group, would know what they are doing, as they have been doing business in OC for years, but maybe they went a little bit over their heads. I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens with it. Maybe they will have to slash their rates to fill rooms or there will be a foreclosure sale down the road. Possibly we will all be wrong and it will do well, but I would not count on it.

Besides the Hilton, the only other hotel opening this year that I can think of is the new Breakers Hotel, 3rd Street & Boardwalk.

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars

Wanted: A potential Hilton guest......................

nlfissel:

Even I get lucky once in a while and take the "right" point of view just don't get used to it.

My comments are not meant to be criticism more just a statement of the reality going on in Ocean City. According to the posted poll nearly 80% of those people who bothered to cast their vote see a problem. Nearly 40% think the area is becoming to rich for their blood. If you read the posts on this site and others you hear the concerns, complaints, and comments about the cost of vacationing in OC.

Many posters on this site and others always ask for an "affordable" place to stay. The list of those is getting smaller and becoming non-existent.

Yes I can't see someone pulling up in their Mercedes Coupe checking in and making their way over to the Pirate's Den for a few games of pool with the local low lifes. Over 30+ years I have to admit I have visited MANY of the local nite spots. Never have I had enough to drink where the Pirates Den
    looked appealing. And I don't stay at the Hiltons of the world.

Nor is the Ocean Voyager on the same par as the HILTON. One of them has to go the neighborhood can't stay "mixed" with such a drastic difference in business levels. Only problem for the property owner is their property is not beachfront so it doesn't lend itself to MAJOR developement. For $400-$500 you need to provide at least a glance of the beach. But then again if you have plasma t.v. that makes it worth the $400 price tag. Really?

I am sure those who own the Harrison group are far more intelligent then I but I wouldn't want to try and recoup $53,000,000 and hopefully a profit on a business whose season lasts just 4 months per year. Hopefully they have a long term financial arrangement.

At $400 per night you have a lot of rooms to rent and not enough days in which to rent them. I would do the math but those types of numbers are way to high for me to comprehend. I like to stay with the 10s and 20s that's my limit.

And lastly Anthony's I meant not disrespect to this business although I have never visited this establishment I have read and heard their food is some of the best offered in OC if you are looking for a sandwich, sub, hero or hoagie depending on the area from which you come. Just not what most of those in the higher income brackets look for to dine on.

I had only listed the Hilton website in response to a poster looking for NEW places to stay opening this year. This is the only one I knew of.

Seems the post has taken on a life of it's own.

For anyone who plans to visit the Hilton please let us know what it is like.

Sand Dollars
    First,the Ocean Voyager and the Pirates Den are up for sale and will most likely be sold and gone before summer.

Next, I heard that the poll that NY-Md has been quoting has only had 200-300 people replying to it.( I think it's either mentioned on the editorial page of the Dispatch or Ocean City Today)

Finally,the two groups of people staying at the Hilton.How about golfers and young professionals.
    Do you realize that a 22-23 year old college graduate with a computer science degree is making between 50-70k,single,living at home,and driving either an Audi or a BMW and still will come to OC.They'll still hang at Seacrets,eat at McDonalds, and generally make an ass out of themselves for a couple of years.

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars
    Well BOB now that settles it if the Pirates Den is gone then where will those Hilton guests hang out in evening? Where will they be during Happy Hour?

Guess if the property is sold they can listen to the construction noise and they will more then likely have a view of some more condos. And all for $400 per night.

As far as the number of people who responded to the Dispatch poll.
    Something I picked off the Web.

'What is the sampling error for the poll results?
    Interviews with a scientific sample of 1000 adults can accurately reflect the opinions of more than 185 million American adults. That means interviews attempted with all 185 million adults--if such were possible--would give approximately the same results as a well-conducted survey."

So if we can get some judgement of 185,000,000 Americans with a polling of 1,000 I would have to guess the 200-300 of those who were polled about the developement in Ocean City should provide us with some sense of what people think.

We don't need to ask and poll everyone who visits the area. Nor would that ever be possible.

We will have to see whether your prediction that the Hilton will be full of golfers and 22-23 computer science majors comes to pass.

Sand Dollars
    In other news, three weeks ago, we launched our first poll on our website, www.mdcoastdispatch.com. The question was simply, “What is your take on development in Ocean City?” The poll we admit is certainly not scientific, but we believe the results were interesting. With about 250 votes registered, here are the results:
    -- 38 percent: Too many condos, not enough businesses.

-- 21 percent: The town is becoming an enclave for the rich.

-- 20 percent: We’re priced out and looking elsewhere.

-- 17 percent: Out with the old, in with the new.

-- 4 percent: It doesn’t bother us, we come for the beach.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Dispatch admitted that the poll was non-scientific.
    I think the demographics of the folks who were polled would have a great impact on the results.IE: are they residents,are they visitors,or are they folks just pining for the old times.

JJ_Walters
    Sand Dollars
    Ocean City is now surrounded by 15 top caliber golf courses! These people need to stay someplace luxurious and expensive. Hence, mucho high-end condo and hotel development.

"Build it and they will come"

Well, that's what happened when all of these superb golf courses were being built in the last 10-15 years.

Sand Dollars
    Ah, I see OC's new slogan in that statement somewhere:

OC - come for the golf!
    or
    OC - your links to the ocean.

By the way, I don't play golf. As far as happy hour for the upper crusties, isn't the Purple Moose still open?