Thread: Santa Maria

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Miramar - change in plans

I spoke with the Realtor (who appears on the boardwalk sign) this afternoon.

It seems there has been a change in plans. According to Eric Green's Website:
    "Plans for THE MIRAMAR have changed to include a hotel, THE CAPTAINS TABLE RESTAURANT, an Indoor / Outdoor pool, exercise room, rental office, and MORE!"

There will be nine (9) condominium units for sale in the building - http://www.bestbuyinoc.com/Ocean_Cit...listings.shtml - for more info.

sc002
    Sand Dollars
    It looks like the condo units will all be on the fifth floor of the building and the four floors below will be hotel rooms. The change in plans explains why nothing has been done on the site since the Santa Maria was demolished last year (and the removal of the debris).

intheknow
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Renee
    And who can blame them? If you were going to spend the kind of money it takes to develop a project, you'd want to make sure it was as successful as possible - wouldn't you?
    Yeah, but I'm sure it was humbling. My only point was all the people in town who have been handed so many businesses and weren't happy with the excellent money they were making and saw the opportunity to make so much more money with condos, but in the end they endup being closed down for 3+ years so they aren't even making the money they were. It has to be tough- for a lot of people. oh well.

They had 50+ units for sale on DPOL for months and nothing happened. it was probably just bad timing. From my own viewpoint I would have done it differently but no one has ever given me a boardwalk property.

I am happy that they have been able to change plans and find something else to do with it.

Oceancityphill
    Sand Dollars

Looking forward to New Captains Table Restaurant

Never ate their but from the forums sounds like it was a great place to eat. I remember for years just walking or driving by it the sign was kind of scarry, erie and haunting like a pirate ship or something at night time. Does anyone feel same way? Hope they use similar sign lol

Sand Dollars
    I could see how the outside would give people the wrong impression, but if you pass on it, you missed the best restaurant in Ocean City!

NY-MD
    Sand Dollars
    Dean:

Never having been to the Captain's Table I was wondering who operated the restaurant part???

Was it the same group that operated the hotel???

My concern would be after this place has been closed for this lenght of time I would wonder where all those who worked in the restaurant: chefs, cook, food prep, servers all those who made the place what it was well they might have moved on to other jobs at other places.

Wondering what the new place will be like in comparison to the old restaurant you and others remember so fondly.

Sand Dollars
    NY-MD, That is a very good question, and one that I have wondered about myself. I believe that it is the same people who own the hotel, but this is just my guess, hopefuly someone can enlighten us both.

Sand Dollars
    It is the same people who own & run the restaurant that also own & run the hotel. They are personal friends of mine. I can assure you that the restaurant will be just as fabulous when it reopens as it was in the past.

LuvdTheSantaMaria
    Sand Dollars

Yep, I KNEW it! I told them so!

This doesn't surprise me at all!! And I, for one, was ABSOLUTELY ELATED every time I'd visit OC and saw that nothing had progressed where our beloved Santa Maria once stood.

WHAT A WASTE!!!! The Santa Maria could have STILL been there, in all her beautiful historic glory. Like the Fisher's Popcorn building, happily thumbing her nose at the failed condos being built around her, this could have been her PROUDEST moment. But NO! The wrecking ball came, and FOR WHAT??? For NOTHING, that's what!!

I remember trying to talk Lauren Taylor out of this ludicris idea. Reminding her of the historic significance of the Santa Maria, and the fact that it's still a hugely popular place for folks to stay every year. But, no....she said was "tired" of running a hotel. It had gotten "old" to her and she didn't want to bother with it anymore.

So, two years later, the papers say NOW she's "EXCITED" about running a hotel again?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm AMAZED!! If all she needed was a two year vacation from the business to get herself back in the "hotel mood", a leave of absence would have been alot cheaper and alot less trouble than demolishing the Santa Maria. And we would STILL be enjoying that wonderful motel today.

I suggest that, as an "apology" to the original Santa Maria for the terrible wrongdoing she did to her (and to the folks that loved staying there every year), Ms. Taylor should rename the new Hotel from "The Miramar" back to "The Santa Maria". It's the LEAST she could do to preserve the memory of the most wonderful motel OC ever had. Hey, that's what they did with The Commander Hotel....why do any less with The Santa Maria??

Sand Dollars
    In reply to LuvdTheSantaMaria:

While I agree that the proprietors of the Santa Maria did a grave injustice to the old Santa Maria by knocking it to the ground, the name of the Miramar is still of some historic significance. I believe that the family had previously operated an older hotel in OC which was named the Miramar.

I have pictures from 2005 of the Santa Maria being smashed to bits. By the time we got there, it was basically gone except for the front facade. The painted sign on the foundation of the side of the building was still there, so I have a picture of the big red letters that said "RESTAURANT - Captain's Table)", the sign that lead us to our favorite meal of each vacation. I had never stayed at the Santa Maria, but I loved the restaurant, I can imagine that I would have the same attachment to the motel if I had ever stayed there.