Thread: Santa Maria

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    LuvdTheSantaMaria
    Sand Dollars

Please send any pix you have

Hi nlfissel:

Thanks for your response.

I don't have any pix of the Santa Maria being demolished, although I was in town during the time it was occuring. I couldn't bear to watch it happen, let alone take pix of it.

I was staying at the Sahara just a few streets up and when I'd walk up the street each day to get something to eat, I'd get a glimpse of the demolition and it would sicken me.....literally.

However, if you wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate if you'd you please Email me any pix you have. My Email is moparjeff@yahoo.com

Thanks again!

Sand Dollars
    Unfortunately, I took the pictures with a 35mm, before I got a digital camera. I will scan them when I get a chance and e-mail them to you. It may take a few weeks, but sometime it will happen!

intheknow
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by NY-MD
    Dean:

Never having been to the Captain's Table I was wondering who operated the restaurant part???

Was it the same group that operated the hotel???

My concern would be after this place has been closed for this lenght of time I would wonder where all those who worked in the restaurant: chefs, cook, food prep, servers all those who made the place what it was well they might have moved on to other jobs at other places.

Wondering what the new place will be like in comparison to the old restaurant you and others remember so fondly.
    Well, as someone else stated the family of owners were involved in both aspects. While I would stop short of saying I am a "personal friend" of the owners, I did work there for several years and do know everyone involved and wish them the best with the transition. Some of the family managed the motel and others managed various aspects and were chefs in the restaurant.

Dinner would still have the owner/chefs. They may have to find other work in the meantime, but they are attached to it. The main guys are in the ownership family. They also do a great job. Jobs like "server" ( and bus,prep, dishwasher,etc) have a very high turnover regardless. There are a couple people who were there a very long time that would probably come back.

Breakfast was very popular and pretty much run by itself. The main guy during the day was there almost 30 years. He now does breakfast at another O.C. restaurant. At the time of the last closing, the owners expressed a desire to make the restaurant more "upscale" and eliminate breakfast/lunch. If they decide to have breakfast in the new place, they would probably have to find new people for that.

keldivy
    Sand Dollars
    Does anybody have any update on the Santa Maria? I told my in-laws about what I read on these forums about them making part of the new Santa Maria (if that is what it will be called) into hotel rooms and not all condos. They were so happy because this was our family favorite place to stay.

We still have not been able to find a place that compares to the Santa Maria and we miss it terribly

I would be happy to hear any good news of this new design with hotel rooms.

Thanks,

sc002
    Sand Dollars
    The hotel is going to be a Courtyard by Marriott and only the top floor will consist of condo units.

keldivy
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by sc002 View Post
    The hotel is going to be a Courtyard by Marriott and only the top floor will consist of condo units.

Thanks for the info, I have been trying to do a search to see if I can find any article that was in any papers or on the net about this. I would like to show my in laws what it says and what type of place it would be.

I am not sure the best way to do this, and so far all my attempts have not been succesful. I will keep trying, anyone else have new info I am all ears & eyes!!!

Thanks all

sc002
    Sand Dollars
    Go to http://www.oceancitytoday.net/ and click on E-Edition. Go to the list of dates and select 1/26/07 and the article regarding the hotel is on page A23.

keldivy
    Sand Dollars
    Thank You, got the article.

keldivy
    Sand Dollars
    I just heard from realitives that were in OC this week that they are finally starting some work on this. She said it looks like they were starting digging of some sort.

Sand Dollars
    I was down for July 4th and saw work being done on the site. There were big cement support beams ( a few stories tall it looked like) and there were big construction machines being used.

My family stayed at the Santa Maria several times before they tore it down, but we never ate at the Captain's Table. After reading all the wonderful things about the restaurant I look foward to it being rebuilt so we can try it.