+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ML View Post
    My Dad grew up in OC - he used to DJ the music for the high school dances at the Pier Ballroom in the 50s.

Before we moved back to town for good and after my Dad sold his house downtown, we used to stay at the Harrington Arms at 29th Street (now the Rodeway Inn). We always arrived before check-in but the Harringtons would store our luggage in the office and we'd go to lunch at the Sandpiper Restaurant at Coastal & 33rd Street. Always thought it was funny that the restaurant was called the Sandpiper, but it had a chicken on the roof! Of course there was also next to nothing between the Carousel & 33rd Street.

The Back of the Rack had Castle in the Sand's 25 cent beers beat - with their Nickel Nights. God what a free for all those could be, but soooo much fun. That was the first place I ever saw Great Train Robbery play back in the early 80s. Of course what was the Rack is now Fortress Ocean City (the police department).

Songbird - One of the long time Docs in Dr. Townsend's offce at 10th St Med was Dr. Mann - who was my doctor until I moved to DE.

Morbid Manor was out on the pier - burned down years ago. The Haunted House on the boardwalk is Trimper's and has been around since 1964.

I miss the English Diner - the true locals hangout and the city council's unofficial meeting spot. When Harry Kelly died - but before it was common knowledge, I was hearing things on my scanner, but couldn't really believe what I was hearing. A friend and I went to the Diner for lunch and one look at Bruce's face when we went in - we knew it was true - and the council was in the back corner trying to figure out what to do!

Back in the day - Buxy's Salty Dog Saloon was the Bayside Pub

What is now Coins was Pappy's, a gift shop (the 2 corner stores) and an indian bead jewelry store (which was taken over by Pappy's and then closed again - to become the Shirt Gallery - and eventually the Shirt Gallery took over the gift shop) When Doc Friedman retired - they all became part of Coins.

Ocean Deli - the original site at 28th Street Holiday Plaza

What is now the Pit & Pub Barbecue Restaurant at 28th Street - began life as a Tastee Freez - and then was Angelo's (at it's best) and then Angelo turned it into a Mexican Restaurant (Fred Musiani likely did back flips in his grave)

Bailey's Pharmacy at 8th Street - gone but not forgotten!

The Hideaway in the old Stowaway Motel and now the Pirate's Den & Yankee Clipper - RIP as it's being rebuilt into god knows what
    Very nostalgic to see the names of these old places. I was the manager of Pappy's on 28th street. I knew Doc Friedman and his family running the gift shop. I also worked for awhile for Gordon who ran Ocean Deli. I worked at Bayside a Pub for a winter with owners Jay and Kendra Stultz. That's where Batman started in OC, he was friends with Jay and Kendra.

Used to shoot pool at the Pirate's Den. Spent a lot of nights at The Castle and had more than my share of nickel beers at The Rack while owning the football table and rocking to Great Train Wreck (just kidding guys)

And of course the English Diner was the favorite place for us locals to get breakfast.

It was sad to lose the Kitty Hawk Saloon to a fire, loved that place.

I also remember going to opening night at The Greene Turtle. One of the original owners was a guy named Doc who led our favorite locals band Teenage Lust. Sold the place to his bartenders Tom and Steve, the rest is history.

Sand Dollars
    I just stumbled upon this thread by accident and had to comment.

When I visited family and friends back east in 2007, I took a day to drive down to Ocean City, MD, for part of the day. It was my first visit to that great little beach town in 15 years. My college buddies and I would spend lots of time down at various places at the Jersey shore (Avalon, Sea Isle City, Stone Harbor, Wildwood). But, in the summer of '86, a few of the guys mentioned this place called Ocean City in Maryland, and we decided to give it a shot. We fell in love with the town so much that we continued to vaca down there every summer up until '92 (in '93 a few of us vaca'ed in California, and in '94 I moved to CA). We'd head down to Ocean City for a weekend or a full week, at least once if not two or three times each summer (even though we'd continue to spend time at the Jersey shores, as well).

We used to stay at either the Tidelands (at 5th & the beach), the Wellington (at 9th & Baltimore), and the Monticello. The Tidelands was, at the time, a dump of a place for $20/night, but we didn't care. Since then, the place has gone "upscale" as the Tidelands Caribbean Hotel & Resort. (Yikes!)

We used to hit quite a few night clubs during those summers... Scandal's near 65th Street (a large, all-wood, barn-like interior with a balcony in the back, and a full-sized stage for live bands to perform)... Samantha's at the back of the 45th Street shopping center (many memories there)... the Playpen near 69th Street by the bay side (they used to go overboard with the fog machine, the music volume bled your ears, and they were notorious for seriously lacking A/C in that place)... Graffitti's on 17th Street... the Paddock at the south end of town for live rock bands... Tiffany's (a preppy little place connected to a hotel or restaurant on 24th Street, I think, that my friend Phil used to like going to)... and of course the Purple Moose Saloon on the boardwalk.

Of them all, Samantha's and Scandal's were the best clubs for hoppin' night life! Let's just say that Labor Day weekend in '88 will live in infamy for me and my friends!!! 'Nough said. Almost all of those clubs have either closed down, changed names, or moved. Samantha's was the first to close in '90. Tiffany's and Graffitti's are gone. Scandal's moved in the old Samantha's location before closing in '05. But the Paddock was still open in '07, as was the Purple Moose on the boardwalk (and DJ Batman, who used to do the "Best Body on the Beach" contests, was STILL there in '07!).

For munchies.... Soriano's... Thrasher's French Fries (hold the vinegar)... the Dough Roller for breakfast... pizza on the boardwalk near 5th Street!!! (I forget the name of the place)... Dumser's Dairy (for custard ice cream like Dairy Queen)... Dayton's Chicken for the BEST fried chicken and soft shell crabs, on the boardwalk by the pier at South Division Street... and the Bull On The Beach for awesome bbq roast pork and roast beef sandwiches.

What I loved best about OCMD was that it was clean, it had a little bit of everything for everyone, and you had all sorts of people from all walks of life -- different cultures, backgrounds, ethnicities, incomes, all ages from babies to octogenarians, single people, families -- and everyone had smiles on their faces.

And I always liked seeing the beautifully done Christian-themed sand sculptures at the beach by North Division Street. From what I understand, the job of doing them had been handed down over the years (Chuck Ritchley Sr. and Randy Hofman were two of the men who've done them).

I may be living in SoCal on the coast (just a few miles from the Pacific) these past 21 years, but I still have fond memories, a warm heart, and more than a tinge of nostalgia for OCMD.

Edited to add: I found another thread in here that linked to the boardwalk cam on Backshore Brewing Company's website. A live feed of the OC beach and boardwalk. *sigh* I really do miss that place.
    Last edited by Madman; 09-03-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Sand Dollars

Cool Best French Toast at the Beach

Highlight of the vacation was a trip to the Santa Maria motel's restaurant. They truly had the greatest French toast ever, and it was even fairly upscale (do I remember a grand piano in the dining room?) too.

Big honking cow at a steak house near the Route 90 bridge?

Wooden jetties.. Conch shells....Inflatable Budweiser rafts that would rub you n*pples off after a week's vacation.

Spending $50 on Skeeball to win a comb that looked/worked like a switch blade...

Sand Dollars
    Santa Maria restaurant the Captains Table is actually still alive in the new hotel that took Santa's place

Sand Dollars
    The "big honking cow" was Captain Bob's. The cow had a bandanna around its neck and a beret on its head. I have a pic somewhere around here. And the Captain's Table is very good. It's inside the Courtyard by Marriott Hotel on 15th St.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Anyone remember a small grocery store on Dorchester street?

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the memories, Madman! It's nice to know that even people in beautiful SoCal love OCMD!

Sand Dollars

Egos?

I enjoyed reading these wonderful memories.

I lived in Somers Point, back in the day. Does anyone remember a night club named Egos? I think. Seems as you would leave Somers Point just before you crossed over the bridge into Ocean City, it sat on a small peninsula?

Not sure if I got all my details correct, but it was in that area and was called Ego's. Rumors maybe, but Egos is my best bet.

Anyone know of it or what happened to it or the owners. One had a beard, the other I do not recall.

Thanks and will continue to enjoy your stories.

C.J.

Sand Dollars
    This is Ocean City Maryland forum, not New Jersey. Isn't Somers Point in NJ?
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ_Walters View Post
    Great stuff songbird, thanks for sharing.

Most of my memories come from circa 1980s:

- The old haunted house at the Pier Rides. I can't remember the name of it now, "Haunted Manor" or something like that. It was a fantastic, walk-through haunted house. Great interior design work, and very scary. At one point, they had a guy who would chase you out at the end with a chainsaw! They don't make haunted house attractions like this anymore. I think it closed in the lates 80s, or early 90s.

- Bozo the Clown at the Pier Rides. He sat in a cage and you tried to dump him in the water by hitting a target with baseballs. Nothing special about this, but it was Bozo himself who was, how shall I say it, "unique". This guy would taunt you with all kinds of derogatory insults! "Your girlfriend is so ugly....." - That kind of stuff. Not exactly family friendly stuff, but for a teenager, it was hilarious! Bozo got the boot sometime around the late 80s, early 90s.

- Freak Street! AKA S. Division street. The street that leads into Trimpers Amusement Park. Back in the 80s this street was known as "Freak Street", because it was the main hangout spot for "Metal Heads" and "Punks". On any given night, you would see dozens on them just, well, hanging out! Again, this O.C. tradition ended sometime in the late 80s, early 90s. Loitering is not allowed there anymore.

- Elvis, AKA "Norman". Elvis was a well know O.C. institution for over 30 years! All day, every day he would cruise up and down the boards in his polyester shirt and pants, and cowbay hat, while carrying an old 8 track cassette recorder (which always played Elvis tunes), while humming along with a kazoo. My Dad knew him from the 60s. I know him from the lates 70s and 80s. I have not seen him in years. He may have passed away, but I am not sure.

- Lombardi's Pizza on the boardwalk. Best damn pizza in O.C.. They closed the boardwalk shop several years ago, unfortunately. They still have one in North O.C.

- The Day the Moose Fought Back. Well, not really, but one night in 1988, some drunk patron at the Purple Moose Saloon ripped the moose head off the wall and threw it through the front window! Must of scared the hell out of people walking passed it on the boards.

- The George Washington Hotel is on fire! I remember it well. I was at the Atlantic Hotel (The best hotel in OC I might add. We always stay there) when we heard all of these sirens. The hotel suffered major damage and never re-opened. It was one of the oldest hotels in OC.

- The Wild Mouse ride at Trimpers. Extremely fun Wild Mouse ride that was operated by a very scary looking man. He had literally 2 or 3 teeth in his mouth and he was always covered in grease! This ride closed sometime in the late 80s.

- Laughing Sal from the early 30s! I really miss her! Ok, just kidding.

Anyway, that's all I have right now. Ocean City is still my favorite place to go for vacation. I have converted my wife (she loves it now), and my kids really love it. I've come full circle: Fun times as a kid, fun times as teenager/young adult, and now, fun times as a parent.

Man, writing all this down really has me hungry for some Fischers caramel popcorn, some Pollock Johnnie's sausage, some Dolle's candy, and some Dayton's fried chicken!
    JJ Walters.. Incidentally "Freak Street" was actually South First Street with the entrance to Trimpers. The Wild Mouse, as the story went, would either skip or jump the track occasionally. No idea if that's true and you would think that that would be enough to avoid it, but that's what kind of made it cool