+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Ship Cafe

Hello Captpat --
    I have only dim memories of the Ship Cafe, since by the time I was old enough to buy a drink and afford to go there on my own, it was gone. But I went once with my parents, who were not typical customers -- it attracted mainly a well-heeled crowd. I believe the bar surrounded what had been the top of an old yacht. Docked at its marina next to the restaurant were a lot of big cabin cruisers, Chris Crafts, Bertrams, etc., from up and down the coast, owned by its customers (I don't remember any sailboats; likely too shallow for a keel boat). It was a destination, and even this 12-year old could see it was in a different league from the typical mom and pop O.C. restaurant. It was located all by itself on what was technically an island, surrounded by marshes and the bay, at the end of 14th Street (where the marina is now, but I think a lot of that land had been filled in in later years), and its isolation contributed to its aura of being an anomaly. It was also the site of the White Marlin Tournament (still held at that spot, I believe). There are a number of old postcards of the place on Google -- here's a link to one:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/edge_a...r/11808799303/

Hopefully others out there who remember the place will weigh in.

Sand Dollars
    Greg Reed...the "Sleep n Eat" looks really nice!

Sand Dollars
    What an awesome forum. Some of the posts bring back some memories and a few nightmares lol. I lived in OC from 83 to 89 and have never had the opportunity to return.
    I seen a post over in the restaurant section about "Generals Kitchen". Was that the place that had some kind of waffle that was covered in bacon, hash-browns, chipped beef and who knows what else? One thing I really remember was an old gas station up near Coastal and RT54 that was a carryout beer and wine place. I think it was called Jim Carreys? He had a small bar and would open the garage doors so you could buy a can of the coldest beer in OC, and sit there in the afternoon and watch traffic. He also sold these awesome steamed hotdogs, Doughties I think they were called.

There was also a phenomonal little pizza place in a shopping center @ 143rd across from the movie theatre..........Don Vitos or Devitos???? Is that still there?
    Last edited by Value Added; 02-05-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Sand Dollars

Ocean City 1988

Great to see this. I have fantastic memories of a summer spent in Ocean City in 1988 on a student exchange from England.... I nearly ended up at the wrong OC from the bus station in New York, but luckily spotted my mistake at the last minute. Met a great bunch of English and American students and between working at Daytons Chicken and Seafood for two interesting characters, Paolo and Eddie, spent most of the time partying. I still have the t-shirt from the Surf Rat Café, and can just about remember Talbot Street Café and a place lower than 1st street, I think called Bush's?
    Daytons was a great place to work, with amazing characters like Smokey, Tina, Jimmy-Dee, Dee, Darlene and Brett - who really should have been in Las Vegas. I spent the time washing dishes and failing badly at chatting up the waitresses (it was only later that the English accent started to work..)... It looks like the place has moved up the peninsula now as this was somewhere between 1st and 3rd street if I remember correctly. The soft-crab sandwich was the big thing, but as impoverished students, we were given the left over fried chicken at the end of the night and basically lived on that all summer (something you can only do at 19)...
    I remember the fantastic board walk, the amazing beach and for some reason, the Cure playing loud on the speakers at the fun fair on the pier. Our flat was less good. Just behind 1st street, the toilet at the end of a bed behind a curtain - class!

All night beach parties at Asateague (spelling?) park and the resultant mosquito bites the next day. The radio blaring out daily, "it's 95 on the beach in Ocean City!!!"

If anyone remembers the Summer of 88, get in touch. So many good memories - the girls we stayed with, Sheri, Teri and Dee, the guys we worked with already named, and the English crew, Andy, Simon, Tim, Neil, Kap, Kerry, Marcus (Dr?), and most of all the 3 guys I then drove across the States with, Martin, Jim and Andy (aka Bob)...

thanks for allowing me a little reminiscing...

Sand Dollars

Does anyone remember?

Does anyone remember the old diner catty corner from Phillips or near Phillips on 20th? It was a chrome like old time dinner and I can't remember the name of it.....

Sand Dollars
    Krislynell: It was Bunting's English Dinner between 21st and 2nd Streets. There is a condo building there now. It closed about 10 years ago. I heard the building was bought by Seacrets' owner Leighton Moore who indicated he planned to restore it and perhaps Incorporated it into Seacrets. I believe it sat in the Seacrets parking lot for a few months, but I have not heard anything about it in several years.

It is interesting to note that this business was originally located on Baltimore Avenue near the Atlantic hotel. I believe the business was moved to 21st Street sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The buildings at the older and newer locations look similar, but I am not sure if the was building moved or replaced as part of the move.

Here is a picture of it I found on Flickr:
    Last edited by OCGuy; 04-09-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Sand Dollars
    I had no idea Seacrets bought that old diner.

If they could put that on their property and operate it as a 24 hr diner, they would make a killing.

Sand Dollars

Yep, thats the one

Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
    Krislynell: It was Bunting's English Dinner between 21st and 2nd Streets. There is a condo building there now. It closed about 10 years ago. I heard the building was bought by Seacrets' owner Leighton Moore who indicated he planned to restore it and perhaps Incorporated it into Seacrets. I believe it sat in the Seacrets parking lot for a few months, but I have not heard anything about it in several years.

It is interesting to note that this business was originally located on Baltimore Avenue near the Atlantic hotel. I believe the business was moved to 21st Street sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The buildings at the older and newer locations look similar, but I am not sure if the was building moved or replaced as part of the move.

Here is a picture of it I found on Flickr:

Thanks OCGuy. Yep thats the one. We used to stay at Misty Harbor on 25th every summer when I was a kid, I remember eating there once and walking by it alot. So sad to see so much of old OC disapearing.

Alot on that block has disapeared. There was an old motel (the Igloo?) or atleast it was white and reminded me of an igloo between there and 23rd, the old bait and tackle shop that we used to buy minnies at at fish, and then across the street around 23 or 24, the Legion or Amvets? I remember seeing a sign that they had bingo.

Time is a changin'.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Great to see this. I have fantastic memories of a summer spent in Ocean City in 1988 on a student exchange from England.... I nearly ended up at the wrong OC from the bus station in New York, but luckily spotted my mistake at the last minute. Met a great bunch of English and American students and between working at Daytons Chicken and Seafood for two interesting characters, Paolo and Eddie, spent most of the time partying. I still have the t-shirt from the Surf Rat Café, and can just about remember Talbot Street Café and a place lower than 1st street, I think called Bush's?
    Daytons was a great place to work, with amazing characters like Smokey, Tina, Jimmy-Dee, Dee, Darlene and Brett - who really should have been in Las Vegas. I spent the time washing dishes and failing badly at chatting up the waitresses (it was only later that the English accent started to work..)... It looks like the place has moved up the peninsula now as this was somewhere between 1st and 3rd street if I remember correctly. The soft-crab sandwich was the big thing, but as impoverished students, we were given the left over fried chicken at the end of the night and basically lived on that all summer (something you can only do at 19)...
    I remember the fantastic board walk, the amazing beach and for some reason, the Cure playing loud on the speakers at the fun fair on the pier. Our flat was less good. Just behind 1st street, the toilet at the end of a bed behind a curtain - class!

All night beach parties at Asateague (spelling?) park and the resultant mosquito bites the next day. The radio blaring out daily, "it's 95 on the beach in Ocean City!!!"

If anyone remembers the Summer of 88, get in touch. So many good memories - the girls we stayed with, Sheri, Teri and Dee, the guys we worked with already named, and the English crew, Andy, Simon, Tim, Neil, Kap, Kerry, Marcus (Dr?), and most of all the 3 guys I then drove across the States with, Martin, Jim and Andy (aka Bob)...

thanks for allowing me a little reminiscing...
    This is a great post! I always kick myself for not working the summer after college in OC. I hope you get to come back sometime!

Sand Dollars
    Way back in the late 80's my wife (then fiance) and I used to stay at a place called the French Quarter Motel. It was a major dump down on Baltimore Ave and 22nd Street. I can't believe we didn't get fleas from the place. Even during the season their pool was a nasty dark green. I'm sure this place is long gone. Just wondering if anybody remembers this Motel or knows whatever happened to it. The only thing I can find for this motel is a pack of matches for sale on Ebay. I have fond memories only because it was at a time when we were young and in love, a very very very long time ago.