+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    I really miss Babette's Supper Club. (cold weather has me crazy)

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by mink66 View Post
    "Boardwalk Elvis" is alive and well. He must live in or around the Ocean Pines area, because I see him occasionally riding his bicycle along Rt. 589 (Racetrack Rd.).
    The last I knew Norman lived in Showell. A few months ago he was struck by a car while riding his bike - the bike was the only casualty fortunately. Norman had a few scratches but otherwise was ok.

Sand Dollars
    My Dad grew up in OC - he used to DJ the music for the high school dances at the Pier Ballroom in the 50s.

Before we moved back to town for good and after my Dad sold his house downtown, we used to stay at the Harrington Arms at 29th Street (now the Rodeway Inn). We always arrived before check-in but the Harringtons would store our luggage in the office and we'd go to lunch at the Sandpiper Restaurant at Coastal & 33rd Street. Always thought it was funny that the restaurant was called the Sandpiper, but it had a chicken on the roof! Of course there was also next to nothing between the Carousel & 33rd Street.

The Back of the Rack had Castle in the Sand's 25 cent beers beat - with their Nickel Nights. God what a free for all those could be, but soooo much fun. That was the first place I ever saw Great Train Robbery play back in the early 80s. Of course what was the Rack is now Fortress Ocean City (the police department).

Songbird - One of the long time Docs in Dr. Townsend's offce at 10th St Med was Dr. Mann - who was my doctor until I moved to DE.

Morbid Manor was out on the pier - burned down years ago. The Haunted House on the boardwalk is Trimper's and has been around since 1964.

I miss the English Diner - the true locals hangout and the city council's unofficial meeting spot. When Harry Kelly died - but before it was common knowledge, I was hearing things on my scanner, but couldn't really believe what I was hearing. A friend and I went to the Diner for lunch and one look at Bruce's face when we went in - we knew it was true - and the council was in the back corner trying to figure out what to do!

Back in the day - Buxy's Salty Dog Saloon was the Bayside Pub

What is now Coins was Pappy's, a gift shop (the 2 corner stores) and an indian bead jewelry store (which was taken over by Pappy's and then closed again - to become the Shirt Gallery - and eventually the Shirt Gallery took over the gift shop) When Doc Friedman retired - they all became part of Coins.

Ocean Deli - the original site at 28th Street Holiday Plaza

What is now the Pit & Pub Barbecue Restaurant at 28th Street - began life as a Tastee Freez - and then was Angelo's (at it's best) and then Angelo turned it into a Mexican Restaurant (Fred Musiani likely did back flips in his grave)

Bailey's Pharmacy at 8th Street - gone but not forgotten!

The Hideaway in the old Stowaway Motel and now the Pirate's Den & Yankee Clipper - RIP as it's being rebuilt into god knows what

Sand Dollars

Old Ocean City restaurants

I just stumbled on this website yesterday and saw a lot of comments about old OC restaurants. Naturally, I decided to add my two cents, so here goes:

Does anyone but me remember that, before it was known as the Embers, the first restaurant in that building at 24th and Coastal Highway was called The Lagoon? It opened in a brand-new building sometime in the mid-1950s, and was expensive -- maybe too expensive, because it only operated for a few years before it became The Embers in the early '60s.

Another old restaurant I remember well -- although not its name -- was at 33rd on the west side of Coastal Highway. I first went there as a child in the mid-50s, and it was there at least through the late '60s. It had a huge chicken on the roof, and could be seen from well up the highway approaching Ocean City (which pretty much ended there in those days).

The old Irish House on the boardwalk around Division Street.

And of course, the famous Ship Cafe, which to me as a young man seemed incredibly cool.

Sand Dollars
    I bet the building with the huge chicken at 33rd Street is now Guido's Burritos. In the 1970s it was a place called Sandpipers and it had a big sandpiper bird on top of it. Maybe that is the name you remember, or maybe it was something before that

Sand Dollars
    You're right -- it was the Sandpiper. (And for all these years I've thought the bird on top was a chicken. Maybe it's because we always got fried chicken when we went there.) We started vacationing in Bethany and then Fenwick Island around 1956, and would drive into OC for dinner. I can still picture the empty coastal highway, nothing but dunes and power poles on the seemingly endless drive until we got to that restaurant, where the town began. It wasn't until 1959 that construction began on Bobby Baker's Carousel, entirely in the middle of nowhere.

Another old restaurant I remember well from my college years is the Pancake House on 9th Street near the boardwalk. And wasn't there a bar right on the boardwalk just north of 9th Street? it might have been called the Beach Club.

I remember Fager's Island when it opened around 1975; a much smaller (and cooler) place than today's Disney-like establishment. There were even sofas next to a fireplace in the (only) bar room, and I don't think the restaurant part had opened at that point.

Sand Dollars
    Remember the Talbot St Café? Anyone have photos of Bahia Marina prior to Fish Tales?

Sand Dollars
    Greg Reed....tell us more about Ships Cafe. All I know is from the old timey shots. Was it as barren as the pics? I know how it looks now (built up) Also, need some help on the location of Channing"s Way Pub. I "think" I played on one of there lacrosse teams. Games were behind the FSKey Hotel.

Sand Dollars
    OCMD Sandpiper Restaurant.jpg
    Found this picture (Click on it to enlarge) of the Sandpiper - It was chicken on the roof!

Sand Dollars
    Sorry OCGuy............but THAT'S a chicken!! lol
    Ask an OC Insider