+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

songbird
    Sand Dollars

Reminiscing - Ocean City of Yesteryear.

I didn't see this thread so I thought I'd start it. I like talking about the Ocean City of my youth, and I thought others might, also. I'd love to hear personal experiences or stories relating to the Ocean City of yesteryear.

Circa: 1976. I'll begin with one experience. When I was in my 20's, my girlfriend and I went to the Bonfire one night just for drinks and the hope of finding the love of our lives. Back then, the Bonfire was a very upscale restaurant and night club. Anyway, a man called us over and introduced us to two men, one of them being Bobby Boyd, and I'm hoping I'm remembering his name correctly. He was a football player for the Baltimore Colts. Being from Bucks County, PA, I hardly knew any of the Eagles, let alone the Colts, outside of Johnny Unitas. He was such a nice man, which impressed me the most, but that ring he wore was unreal. I'd never seen anything like it. It was a championship ring with a big stone in the middle of a football stadium with the scores on the side. All that on one ring. We left shortly after speaking with him on our way to another place to find the loves of our lives. I found mine 6 years later, and we've been married 22 years.

Sand Dollars
    Never went to OC in my youth so love reading these memories. We traveled all over the U.S. when I was growing up. Have great memories of Miami Beach, But Locally we went to Asbury Park and Seaside heights for the day. The only beaches we ever stayed over at were during our annual trip to Florida around the holidays in December.

Love going to OC now but have to change it up every now and then. Like to explore and go new places.

Sand Dollars

Reminiscing

Quote Originally Posted by pavisitor View Post
    Never went to OC in my youth so love reading these memories. We traveled all over the U.S. when I was growing up. Have great memories of Miami Beach, But Locally we went to Asbury Park and Seaside heights for the day. The only beaches we ever stayed over at were during our annual trip to Florida around the holidays in December.

Love going to OC now but have to change it up every now and then. Like to explore and go new places.

See thats, where I can almost but not quite agree. Our family is hooked on Ocean City. Sure, we venture to Chincoteque VA for a day or so but ultimately, OCMD is our favorite place.

I miss the boardwalk, pre-high rise. I miss looking down the boards from the inlet and not seeing them. I miss the mom and pop motels and restaurants and just general feel of the area.

As much as I love OC, though, I think I loved it better before all of the "Progress".

Sand Dollars
    I've been a lot of places, but OC is like home for me. You know that feeling you get when you've been away for a long time and you finally come home? I get that feeling every time we cross the bridge into OC. It's part of me.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Stayed at the Breaker's every summer. Remember the two blind gentlemen that played guitar and banjo with tin cups on the ends. One of them had a dog.
    The hotel next to the Breakers had a restaurant in the basement and you would wake up to the sounds of dishes being moved.
    There was a glass blowing place, the life guard station on the boardwalk, and the clam shell looking band stage with the benches
    to sit on and enjoy the concerts.
    Last edited by Lynn; 03-26-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Sand Dollars
    I really miss Babette's Supper Club. (cold weather has me crazy)

Sand Dollars
    When I was a teen in the 70's, that basement business if you will next to the Breakers was a bar call the "Surf N Suds" I believe. Only went in there once.. it was painfully humid with a strong odor of stale beer. Now part of it is a sunglass business and the other part is walled off.

Sand Dollars
    My Dad grew up in OC - he used to DJ the music for the high school dances at the Pier Ballroom in the 50s.

Before we moved back to town for good and after my Dad sold his house downtown, we used to stay at the Harrington Arms at 29th Street (now the Rodeway Inn). We always arrived before check-in but the Harringtons would store our luggage in the office and we'd go to lunch at the Sandpiper Restaurant at Coastal & 33rd Street. Always thought it was funny that the restaurant was called the Sandpiper, but it had a chicken on the roof! Of course there was also next to nothing between the Carousel & 33rd Street.

The Back of the Rack had Castle in the Sand's 25 cent beers beat - with their Nickel Nights. God what a free for all those could be, but soooo much fun. That was the first place I ever saw Great Train Robbery play back in the early 80s. Of course what was the Rack is now Fortress Ocean City (the police department).

Songbird - One of the long time Docs in Dr. Townsend's offce at 10th St Med was Dr. Mann - who was my doctor until I moved to DE.

Morbid Manor was out on the pier - burned down years ago. The Haunted House on the boardwalk is Trimper's and has been around since 1964.

I miss the English Diner - the true locals hangout and the city council's unofficial meeting spot. When Harry Kelly died - but before it was common knowledge, I was hearing things on my scanner, but couldn't really believe what I was hearing. A friend and I went to the Diner for lunch and one look at Bruce's face when we went in - we knew it was true - and the council was in the back corner trying to figure out what to do!

Back in the day - Buxy's Salty Dog Saloon was the Bayside Pub

What is now Coins was Pappy's, a gift shop (the 2 corner stores) and an indian bead jewelry store (which was taken over by Pappy's and then closed again - to become the Shirt Gallery - and eventually the Shirt Gallery took over the gift shop) When Doc Friedman retired - they all became part of Coins.

Ocean Deli - the original site at 28th Street Holiday Plaza

What is now the Pit & Pub Barbecue Restaurant at 28th Street - began life as a Tastee Freez - and then was Angelo's (at it's best) and then Angelo turned it into a Mexican Restaurant (Fred Musiani likely did back flips in his grave)

Bailey's Pharmacy at 8th Street - gone but not forgotten!

The Hideaway in the old Stowaway Motel and now the Pirate's Den & Yankee Clipper - RIP as it's being rebuilt into god knows what

Sand Dollars

Old Ocean City restaurants

I just stumbled on this website yesterday and saw a lot of comments about old OC restaurants. Naturally, I decided to add my two cents, so here goes:

Does anyone but me remember that, before it was known as the Embers, the first restaurant in that building at 24th and Coastal Highway was called The Lagoon? It opened in a brand-new building sometime in the mid-1950s, and was expensive -- maybe too expensive, because it only operated for a few years before it became The Embers in the early '60s.

Another old restaurant I remember well -- although not its name -- was at 33rd on the west side of Coastal Highway. I first went there as a child in the mid-50s, and it was there at least through the late '60s. It had a huge chicken on the roof, and could be seen from well up the highway approaching Ocean City (which pretty much ended there in those days).

The old Irish House on the boardwalk around Division Street.

And of course, the famous Ship Cafe, which to me as a young man seemed incredibly cool.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ML View Post
    My Dad grew up in OC - he used to DJ the music for the high school dances at the Pier Ballroom in the 50s.

Before we moved back to town for good and after my Dad sold his house downtown, we used to stay at the Harrington Arms at 29th Street (now the Rodeway Inn). We always arrived before check-in but the Harringtons would store our luggage in the office and we'd go to lunch at the Sandpiper Restaurant at Coastal & 33rd Street. Always thought it was funny that the restaurant was called the Sandpiper, but it had a chicken on the roof! Of course there was also next to nothing between the Carousel & 33rd Street.

The Back of the Rack had Castle in the Sand's 25 cent beers beat - with their Nickel Nights. God what a free for all those could be, but soooo much fun. That was the first place I ever saw Great Train Robbery play back in the early 80s. Of course what was the Rack is now Fortress Ocean City (the police department).

Songbird - One of the long time Docs in Dr. Townsend's offce at 10th St Med was Dr. Mann - who was my doctor until I moved to DE.

Morbid Manor was out on the pier - burned down years ago. The Haunted House on the boardwalk is Trimper's and has been around since 1964.

I miss the English Diner - the true locals hangout and the city council's unofficial meeting spot. When Harry Kelly died - but before it was common knowledge, I was hearing things on my scanner, but couldn't really believe what I was hearing. A friend and I went to the Diner for lunch and one look at Bruce's face when we went in - we knew it was true - and the council was in the back corner trying to figure out what to do!

Back in the day - Buxy's Salty Dog Saloon was the Bayside Pub

What is now Coins was Pappy's, a gift shop (the 2 corner stores) and an indian bead jewelry store (which was taken over by Pappy's and then closed again - to become the Shirt Gallery - and eventually the Shirt Gallery took over the gift shop) When Doc Friedman retired - they all became part of Coins.

Ocean Deli - the original site at 28th Street Holiday Plaza

What is now the Pit & Pub Barbecue Restaurant at 28th Street - began life as a Tastee Freez - and then was Angelo's (at it's best) and then Angelo turned it into a Mexican Restaurant (Fred Musiani likely did back flips in his grave)

Bailey's Pharmacy at 8th Street - gone but not forgotten!

The Hideaway in the old Stowaway Motel and now the Pirate's Den & Yankee Clipper - RIP as it's being rebuilt into god knows what
    Very nostalgic to see the names of these old places. I was the manager of Pappy's on 28th street. I knew Doc Friedman and his family running the gift shop. I also worked for awhile for Gordon who ran Ocean Deli. I worked at Bayside a Pub for a winter with owners Jay and Kendra Stultz. That's where Batman started in OC, he was friends with Jay and Kendra.

Used to shoot pool at the Pirate's Den. Spent a lot of nights at The Castle and had more than my share of nickel beers at The Rack while owning the football table and rocking to Great Train Wreck (just kidding guys)

And of course the English Diner was the favorite place for us locals to get breakfast.

It was sad to lose the Kitty Hawk Saloon to a fire, loved that place.

I also remember going to opening night at The Greene Turtle. One of the original owners was a guy named Doc who led our favorite locals band Teenage Lust. Sold the place to his bartenders Tom and Steve, the rest is history.